Why do I have no bookings all of a sudden?

Rebecca2012
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

Why do I have no bookings all of a sudden?

My AirBnB has been booked solid for almost 2 years, and all of a sudden, I have no inquiries. I'd love for someone to take a look at my listing and see what I am missing or what I could improve on. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4761106?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=f5ecc360-fef4-429d-a17d-...

8 Replies 8
Shannon151
Level 2
Hawaii, United States

We had the same issue . We went from having ten inquires a week to one for a year.  I don't think it's what you are missing . Not sure what they have done but in our area it all started with changes to their map so people couldn't find us. 
if you find out the problem I'd love to know 

Hi @Shannon151 

Based on your question to @Rebecca2012 , I have a couple of considerations regarding your listing.

Your properties in Kailua-Kona are truly stunning. They possess an indescribable beauty.

However it seems that you might not face the same challenges as @Rebecca2012 

There are some unique considerations to take into account.

Notably, your listing "Collessie By The Sea" currently holds the top position on Airbnb's "Lyxe" category for there ares. I guess you are pleased with your ranking here.

However, your other listing, "Exclusive area/Ocean view/Putting green/SW Pool," is currently placed on the sixth page out of fifteen when searching for Kailua-Kona under the filters Entire House+Pool+Guest favorite. Whether this is satisfactory depends on booking volume, naturally. Nonetheless, I feel that your property is not being fully showcased.

While you place are categorized under "Amazing pools," it's worth noting that it's absent from the "Amazing views" category. Given the breathtaking combination of your infinity pool and the panoramic ocean view, it might be worth considering reaching out to Airbnb by phone to ask for them to categorize you here as well. Currently, if people are selecting "Amazing views" it excludes your listing entirely, which is very misleading.

Karen4131_1-1709894778767.jpeg

As for photographs, it's challenging to provide improvement suggestions as your place and images are already quite impressive. However, on Airbnb, standing out is crucial. Your standout feature is undoubtedly the infinity pool with the ocean view in the background, - a rare and highly desirable attribute, I could imagine. I suggest choosing this as your cover photo. Note that, increasing your placement in search rankings also relies on how many users add your property to their wish lists. A captivating and unique photo like this is likely to encourage many to save your listing.

Best regards

Karen

Hi @Rebecca2012 I believe this is due to the slow in bookings this season. But you may consider the following to possibly help you gain more bookings/occupancies. 

-High-quality, attractive photos can make a significant difference. Consider hiring a professional photographer if you haven't already. Ensure your space is well-lit and inviting.

-Research your local market to ensure your pricing is competitive. Consider lowering your rates slightly or offering a special discount for longer stays to attract more bookings.

-Small touches like providing local snacks, toiletries, or recommendations for local attractions can enhance the guest experience and lead to better reviews.

-Consider creating special promotions or discounts during off-peak times to attract guests. Hope this helps! 

@Alicia753 This appears to be an issue of supply and demand, so in general it doesn't have anything to do with the listing. 

I'm not sure I understand why you're giving out tips to improve the listing, when the listing isn't really the issue. 

The travel industry is dynamic, and subject to change as travel trends change. Many markets are oversaturated, as in too much supply, and not enough demand. 

Tweaking prices, adding discounts, etc. don't work if the demand isn't out there. 

Hope this helps!

@Kia272 I understand it has something to do with the demand, that is the reason why I initially informed @Rebecca2012 that it is due to the slow in bookings this season. Regarding my tips, I'm unsure if you're able to check the listing but it is based on what I noticed after checking it.

Plus, these tips/suggestions still depend on @Rebecca2012 if she'll consider it knowing that she's already a Superhost and most likely she know how Airbnb works. Hope this answers your confusion about me providing the above tips. 🙂 

Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Rebecca2012 

I've been examining your placement in Airbnb's search listings. When I conduct a broad search for "Vancouver, Washington, US," there are over 1000 listings, likely even more. Airbnb displays 15 pages/300 listings, after which it stops showing more. It prioritizes listings based on various criteria, with a preference for those labeled as "Guest favorite" and Super Host (minimum 4.8 stars). Listings within the first 300 without these labels tend to be either highly competitive on pricing or brand new (thus benefiting from a free boost from Airbnb).

Upon narrowing the search to your specific area, where there are only 327 listings, your listing actually ranks number 1 here. (You can see the count at the top left corner). This is quite impressive, and it's puzzling why you aren't receiving bookings. I find your cover photo quite appealing.

Karen4131_1-1709885428567.png

If I were in your position, I would periodically test searches using the criteria that you expect guests to input on Airbnb (location/map area, number of beds, amenities, etc.) in Google's Incognito mode with all cookies and search history deleted, to gauge your positioning.

Following this, I would aim to achieve "Guest favorite" status. This label seems to have a significant ranking advantage in an area with as much competition as yours.

Currently, I would consider significantly lowering the price and taking advantage of some of Airbnb's promotional campaigns, which you can select under pricing, to attract guests who can provide positive reviews and that way help you earn "Guest favorite" status.

It might also be a good idea to update your photos due to the competition; even though you have a fantastic cover photo, your competitors likely have excellent photos too. Hiring a professional photographer could be a worthwhile investment to stay competitive.

Additionally, it's worth noting that Airbnb may (is said to) favor listings that are regularly updated by the host (changes in calendar/new photos/revised title,´and description, etc.). This is something to consider as well.

Hobe this helps.

Best regards

Karen

@Rebecca2012 

I forgot to mention in my message above that your listing is not among the 300 listings that Airbnb chooses to display in an open search for Vancouver, Washington US, where Airbnb indicates there are over 1000 listings. So, you are completely invisible in such a general search in your area, which is likely why you are not getting bookings right now. The advice above is therefore worth considering. If you lower the price for a period and get the other things in place, you can gradually raise the price back to market level. Monitor your clicks in Insights and select Airbnb's pro tools (if you're not already using them) so you can also see how many people are adding you to their Wish List.

Karen4131_0-1709888814847.png

Best of luck 🙂

- Karen

@Karen4131 , Thank you so much for this wonderful feedback! Really helpful. I actually just changed the cover photo right after I posted this. I realized it had been a photo of just the couch and mirror which wasn't very appealing. I'm trying to think of my own searches and what cover images were most appealing to me. I'm hoping the cover photo with the deck will attract more people as weather is getting nicer in the NW. I will try the promotional pricing as well. I hadn't realized how oversaturated this area has gotten. I also could make some updates to the space like a new comforter and pillows, but I will for sure get some better and more updated photos. I think the ones on here are 5 years old!