discount, deposit, host guaranteed

Answered!
Bari51
Level 3
Belgium

discount, deposit, host guaranteed

Hi all,

I and my wife been using Airbnb for couple of years as a travellers and recently I had confirmed my new job in the UK.

I am excited to list my apartment in Airbnb. However, before publishing the listing, I would like to clarity that,

1. Host shouldn't accept the guest who's request for a discount?
  2. Host deposit
  3. Host guaranteed 

The contrasting of the deposit and guaranteed? I assume the questions above has been answers, eventually  I'm eager to know.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Bari51   Congratulations!

In answer to your questions - offering or accepting a discount leads to poor guests.  Your property has a value; don't minimize it by taking discounts.   Discount seekers are usually picky and leave bad reviews.

There is no deposit - AirBnB does not collect any funds from a guest as a deposit against damages.  Be sure to have a good rental property insurance policy to protect you from major damages.  Be prepared to accept a certain amount of small damages.  No one will care for your property as well as you do.

The Host Guarantee is also very difficult to receive funds from in the event of damages.  If you search the forum, you will find many, many posts from hosts who were unable to receive payment for guest damages.  Do not rely on the Host Guarantee.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Bari51   Congratulations!

In answer to your questions - offering or accepting a discount leads to poor guests.  Your property has a value; don't minimize it by taking discounts.   Discount seekers are usually picky and leave bad reviews.

There is no deposit - AirBnB does not collect any funds from a guest as a deposit against damages.  Be sure to have a good rental property insurance policy to protect you from major damages.  Be prepared to accept a certain amount of small damages.  No one will care for your property as well as you do.

The Host Guarantee is also very difficult to receive funds from in the event of damages.  If you search the forum, you will find many, many posts from hosts who were unable to receive payment for guest damages.  Do not rely on the Host Guarantee.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Bari51 welcome! Hope your hosting goes well.

Regarding guests who request disocunts: I would say generally, don't host them. However, I have made exceptions (without agreeing to further discounts). Keep in mind that many social media sites are providing tips for getting discounts, so they may not realize it's potentially offensive to hosts.

The deposit is a lie. You can ask guests to pay for damage, but unless they agree, you're probably not getting the money. Airbnb doesn't collect any money or put a hold on a credit card to cover this amount.

The host guarantee is real, but it's very difficult to collect on it. Remember that you must submit at least a preliminary claim before the next guest checks in. If you don't, you definitely won't get anything. You don't have to have all your quotes from contractors, but you do have to begin the process. If you don't, it's guaranteed that the claim will be rejected, no matter how much supporting documentation you have. Read the terms and conditions and make sure you understand what you need to do, and understand that if you do, you may still get nothing. Only actual damages will be covered: extra cleaning or smoking inside is unlikely to be covered unless you can prove that you have incurred costs from cleaners or cleaning equipment - and even then, you're unlikely to be covered. 

Make sure you have your own insurance! Hosting has been great for me: I hope it works well for you also! Just make sure you know and fully understand what you're getting into. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Bari51 

Do have a look at the Airbnb Help website as it covers most of the basics around running your STR business on Airbnb.

You can also look at the tutorials and guides on this community.

Many hosts offer a discount for one week/one month stays. 

1. In terms of guests asking for additional discounts, I explain my place already provides exceptional value, and that if it doesn't suit their budget I suggest they used the advance search function on Airbnb to find a place that's available within their budget.

2. Deposit. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

3. Guarantee https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/279/what-is-the-airbnb-host-guarantee 

Helen,

What is the STR business on Airbnb?

Thanks

@Bari51  Short Term Rental. In other words, that's basically what Airbnb and the listings on it are.