"Location" Reviews

Answered!
Craig780
Level 2
North Charleston, SC

"Location" Reviews

Hey fellow hosts,

So I own an Airbnb in North Charleston, SC, and it's been quite successful this first year of me being a brand new host.  However, my greatest concern is receiving low starts for the "location" category of the guest review.  Often there are comments such as "sketchy area" or "didn't like the neighborhood."

These things I feel are out of our control, because we can only do so much to ensure our guests feel safe while at our property.  We have an ADT security system, a fully fenced in back+front yard for privacy, and much more for security but if the guest is driving in and sees someone they don't like walking on our street, they'll give a negative location review.

Any thoughts/insights/advice?

1 Best Answer
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Craig780 

Location IS out of your control so the only thing you can do it manage expectations and be up front about the location in your listing.

Let's just go ahead and say it: Is it truly unsafe or are there just people in the neighborhood that certain guests are uncomfortable seeing? I live near a downtown area and at any given moment you'll see police and ambulances go by. You'll also see homeless people walk by my house sometimes. Is my neighborhood unsafe? Absolutely not. I live in a wonderful neighborhood with many great neighbors. Do I still lock my doors? Absolutely. Do I fear for my life when I walk out of the house? Not at all.

But the presence of some of the people who live and walk around in my neighborhood might cause discomfort to people who haven't been exposed to diverse neighbors and they will jump to conclusions. Which is really sad to me.

Be upfront about the neighborhood. Be real. Let people know they might see people who don't look like them, but the neighborhood is not inherently unsafe. The guests who are worth having will appreciate it!

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Craig780 

Location IS out of your control so the only thing you can do it manage expectations and be up front about the location in your listing.

Let's just go ahead and say it: Is it truly unsafe or are there just people in the neighborhood that certain guests are uncomfortable seeing? I live near a downtown area and at any given moment you'll see police and ambulances go by. You'll also see homeless people walk by my house sometimes. Is my neighborhood unsafe? Absolutely not. I live in a wonderful neighborhood with many great neighbors. Do I still lock my doors? Absolutely. Do I fear for my life when I walk out of the house? Not at all.

But the presence of some of the people who live and walk around in my neighborhood might cause discomfort to people who haven't been exposed to diverse neighbors and they will jump to conclusions. Which is really sad to me.

Be upfront about the neighborhood. Be real. Let people know they might see people who don't look like them, but the neighborhood is not inherently unsafe. The guests who are worth having will appreciate it!

Thanks for the great perspective and advice Suzanne!  I'm updating my description now to help set realistic expectations for guests!

I'd appreciate your help to find the best wording 😁

You nailed it!!!