search results returning properties miles from location entered

Julie685
Level 2
Crowland, United Kingdom

search results returning properties miles from location entered

I have 2 properties listed in a small town. There are just 3 holiday lets in the town in total. When I go to traveller status to check how they are showing in the search I input just 3 variables..... location (name of the town) .... dates (checked they are free before entering) .....number of guests (number I have them set for) .

I don't understand why the search then shows 15 or more properties not in that location, some more than 15 miles away before it shows mine that are in the actual location requested.  It cannot be because of preferences as none are input. Is that just happening to mine or is this a general concern.

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Julie685That's just the way the Airbnb search works. The search algorithm looks at a variety of factors, but it boils down to how likely a potential guest is to book a place, then successfully complete a stay there. You can improve your listing's position in the search results by getting good reviews, responding to quickly, and accepting and completing reservations.

I am a long time superhost who does those things already. I don't think its good enough for AirBnB to say that just the way it works.  If I want accommodation in Brighton I say I want to see the listings that are in Brighton not saying I dont want to see the others too but surely a long list of those should not come before the ones in the location Ive requested?

@Julie685 , I understand your frustration as I've experienced the exact same thing. Algorithms can be very successful in targeting and directing website users, but I strongly believe that AirBnB is doing a real disservice to travelers when they engage in this practice.

When you enter a specific destination, it means that you don't want to look at properties 15-20 miles away. You know where you want to be, and AirBnB should show you properties that conform to your search.

This practice is actually a disservice to both hosts and guests. I'm not sure why the algorithm works this way and why they continue to use it this way, but that's how it is. 

I would also note that I always check my own listing from another browser, and not signed in to my AirBnB account. I feel that I get a more accurate search placement result that way. When I'm signed in and search for my own listing as a traveler, it always shows up very near the top of the search. When I'm not signed in, the result is very different, with a spot that varies, but is usually much farther down the page.

A great way to make hosts feel good (if signed in and searching), but apparently a lie. Go figure. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Julie685 whilst Airbnb give some information as to how the rankings of properties works the actual algorithms are a well kept secret. So I fear you will never know why this is happening.