25% compensation for hosts due to COVID 19 cancellations

Massimiliano185
Level 2
Villars-sous-Yens, Switzerland

25% compensation for hosts due to COVID 19 cancellations

Hi Brian,

better late than never yet,

1) I wonder where this 25% came from. Why not 50% or 10% or else?

2) Why there is no sort of host compensation for guests that cancelled before March 14th? Compensating hosts before this date would make even more sense as the situation was defined as a pandemic on March, 11th by WHO

3) What is the reason to choose March, 14th as a differentiating factor?

Dear Bryan, as you mentioned we are partners, my hope is to get some more clarity and transparency by getting answered the above.

Thanks,

M. **

[Personal details hidden]

14 Replies 14
Mary3882
Level 1
Oban, GB

What happens when a guest has contacted you and agreed to accept the strict cancellation policy of getting  50%  back and an extra day added on their next visit so basically a reservation credit , it shows I will still get my 50% back however under this new policy just being enforced today does that mean I am now only going to receive 25% instead of 50% ? I was informed by airbandb that if I agree to cancel a reservation before this new rule today that the guest  would get back the 50% from my strict policy, they would take 50% and the other 50% owed back to the guest would come out of my next booking payout ! Now that I’m working to add on an extra day for guests willing to rebook and still come out with 50% of the booking , they are going to cut it down to 25% , this is absolute nonsense , the only people benefittingbin alm this mess is Airbandb ! 

Tracy614
Level 1
Ottawa, CA

I think that the 25% payment is great! Noble of Airbnb and backs up their reputation. What I don't like is that it depends on the host's cancellation policy. I have a flexible cancellation policy and therefore I won't receive anything. My problem with this is because Airbnb encouraged me to choose this policy claiming I would attract more reservations, and fewer that 3% are likely to cancel.  Well that's a wonderful stat when you're not in the middle of a pandemic, but here we are now, and everyone is cancelling at once... I think the 25% relief should apply to all reservations no matter the host's cancellation policy.    

I completely agree Tracy614. Earlier I chatted with an Airbnb agent in regards to this and was recommended to message it to their "feedback" link. Since it was confirmed that only cancellations processed through the "extenuating circumstances policy" would apply for the 25% aid.

I would encourage all hosts that feel the same to do this also. Power in numbers and all that...

Here's what I submitted: 

"I received the notice about 25% compensation for cancelled reservations to hosts due to Covid-19. I greatly appreciate this aid. Though I read further and see that it only applies to cancellations that were processed under the "extenuating circumstances policy". I've had over a dozen of cancellations (so far with many more to come), due to Covid-19, and was confirmed in their messages to me that the reason for it was Covid-19 related, but was not processed under the "extenuating circumstances policy". Hosts should also be covered for these as well. As I have only one out of the many that cancelled that appears will apply. Your 25% compensation aid should be revised to include ALL cancellations made for stay dates between March 14th - May 30th. Thank you"

Good point @Tracy614 Tracy and @Aletheia1 Aletheia,

I am also not sure if WE cancel do we still receive the compensation? Some guests seem to be (understandably) waiting for us to cancel. Also it doesn't help us when guests just move dates to later in the year. We can't ever recoup the income from these lost weeks and it is this that will make it hard for hosts to survive, or have the will to carry on in the future... 

Hope you are keeping well 

Andrea

Angela1328
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I asked a guest who tried to cancel through Covid related to cancel via extenuating circumstances, then Airbnb contacted me to ask if I would cancel anyway even if he didn't provide the proof. Why? His airline cancelled, it's an easy thing to do. I'm hoping it's not a way for Airbnb to save money on refunding hosts?

So, this morning i received an email from Airbnb regarding who will get the 25%.  I think it is saying that if your cancellation policy was breeched, and you are owed a cancellation fee, Airbnb will pay 25% of the cancellation fee.  I think i was led to believe from the video that Brian was saying they would pay 25% of the lost booking amount.  Did anyone else understand it that way?  So, all of my guests cancelled well in advance of my cancellation policy, which is 5 days.  So i am owed no cancellation fees, thus i will not receive 25% of lost anything.

You've hit the nail on the head, @Nicci-and-David0; you're (sadly) due diddly squat.

Pooja23
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Is this really true? The guests were obliged to cancel on March 14th and I have a moderate cancellation policy. But they were made to cancel on that day in line with the local laws, so Airbnb have basically just done a big PR stunt for this, but not that many people are actually legible? 

When Airbnb are so reliant on hosts as part of their platform, it’s increasingly more infuriating that they don’t treat us with greater respect 

Simon2553
Level 3
Zürich, Switzerland

Flexible cancellation policies mean the host gets more bookings and got paid an average of 7% more than a comparable strict cancellation policy for all their bookings.  You've already been paid.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Simon2553 i never knew guests with flexible cancellation get 7% more, can u tell me how?

i always been on strict cancellation and never  though choosing flexibly was an option, as too risky

Guests don't get 7% more.  Hosts do, on average.  Airbnb provides that as an option - you can offer either strict cancellation, or flexible at +7%

Does anyone know when we are getting paid?

Yes, was just wondering the same thing!  Its also somewhat confusing as to which cancelled reservations we will get paid the 25% for.  

Kali-Satyagraha0
Level 2
Barrydale, South Africa

Hello Airbnb Community

I'm an early adopter SuperHost writing from South Africa.

I currently have 3 listings on Airbnb - 1 for the main house, 1 for the cottage, and 1 for the house and cottage rented together.  Essentially 2 dwellings at 1 address with 3 rental options.

I see that Superhosts will be considered for financial support if they have no more than 2 listings.  Do I qualify?

And when will hosts be rebated for the cancellations during the specified Covid-19 time period?

I have no idea when I will receive compensation and funds are running extremely low now that the SA lockdown has been extended by a further 2 weeks.

I look forward to receiving some answers.

Kind regards

Kali