5K Super Host Grant

Darrell60
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

5K Super Host Grant

Why are Superhosts with more than two properties excluded from receiving the $5K grant??  Just when I thought Airbnb was going to do something right. Most casual STR are only supplementing their income. I have 4 STR and these are my only income. I have lost over $25K just in March and April cancellations. I have 4 mortgages to pay and have zero income. Airbnb please reconsider your requirements to receive aid. You are excluding the Hosts that most need your support. 

78 Replies 78
Nady0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have the same situation plus l am disabled person. I rely need help as if no guest so no money to live. Hope they look at our situation. 

I just posted about that. We live in our own home and rent out 3 rooms. It's beyond ridiculous.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sofie59 

I am in exactly the same situation in that I rent out three private bedrooms in my own (and only) property where I live. Hardly a property tycoon! Still, I don't qualify!

@Huma0 wrote:

@Sofie59 

I am in exactly the same situation in that I rent out three private bedrooms in my own (and only) property where I live. Hardly a property tycoon! Still, I don't qualify!

Yeah, that doesn't sound like you're a property tycoon. Neither are we.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Same situation here 😞

@Sofie59 , Im in the same boat as you and @Huma0 , One property, 3 listings, no $$$ for Johnny in anyone's stimu-bucks buckets!!!!!!   That's just my luck lately!  The good thing is I have rarely depended on luck to survive the day, week, month, year or 5+ decades and this ones not gonna be any different.  Part of the sustainable plan is never having all our eggs in one basket and that's left my wife and I enough for bacon to go with the eggs, going to have to forgo the fresh squeezed OJ for now, Stay well you two!, JR

Ashley678
Level 7
Apache Junction, AZ

it's so true... prayers for you my fellow superhost,  with too many properties.  You would think they would be more helpful to those who bring in the big money also... not cool . we support cleaning crews and and co-hosts.  Pray this all ends soon . 

ash 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Darrell60  With all due respect, the hosts who are most in need of support right now are those who won't be able to pay the mortgage on their primary residence, which is the only home they own, not those who own four homes and have 4 mortgages. You have homes you don't live in that you could sell or rent out long-term if necessary. Not everyone is in such a privileged position.

@Sarah977 Agree. Those who do it as business should be prepared for something like this. If you rely on a 10k cash flow every month to pay 5k mortgage then you really need to learn some basic business to do it right, rather than crying out when anything happens.

@Sarah977 

It remains to be seen though, whether the hosts "most in need of support", as stated in the PR material, will actually be the hosts who ultimately benefit from this fund. 

For starters, hosts can't apply themselves - it's by "invitation only". Not quite sure what criteria the "specialized" team will be using to identify and invite applications those who fit the "most in need" category, based solely on our listings and profile info.. 

To qualify, hosts who offer a place to stay must:

• Only share their primary or secondary residence – no more than 2 active listings
  • Show a reliance on Airbnb as a vital source of income
  • Have a verified identity
  • Have been a Superhost for 1+ years
  • Have lost a significant percentage of their earnings due to COVID-19

When initially deciding who gets "invited", how can the team possibly determine from their side whether or not a host relies on Airbnb as a vital source of income? Or what percentage of earnings a person has lost due to COVID-19? For all they know, a host who has lost their Airbnb bookings, might just do it as a side-gig, and may very well have a highly-paid day job, or another lucrative business or two on the go. 

I strongly suspect that the lucky recipients will be carefully and strategically selected, with many amongst them best placed (and most likely) to spread the awesome news of their good fortune, and Airbnb's amaaazing generosity. As a 10 year, 22-time superhost who doesn't own multiple properties, have had my calendar almost completely wiped clean and had literally zero income in March as a result of COVID/EC (and very little for the preceding winter months) - and will now also earn a pittance for the entire months of April and May - theoretically, I should be right up there with those at the top of that invitation list. 

I'm not expecting to hear a dicky-bird from them, of course. 

@Susan17  I was wondering the same- how does Airbnb have any clue how impacted any individual host is by the cancellations- they can't possibly. Are hosts going to have to send their 2019 tax return? A photo of their kids sitting around the table, now relegated to half a Spam sandwich on cheapo white bread each? There was a host on another forum who was moaning about all the cancellations he's gotten, owns or rents 5 houses, and said his Airbnb income is $270,000/year, but that it's just "extra" income- he has another job that pays all his bills!  So he's going to get financial aid, while Sally Single Mom who rents out 3 bedrooms in the house she and her children live in, to make ends meet, is ineligible, because, OMG, she has 3 listings? And uses the moderate cancellation policy.

I think the money is going to be portioned out more or less the way you envision. 

Somehow I missed the $5000 memo but my situation is very similar to yours. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get the golden ticket! Best of luck. You never know!

Hi Susan, 

I watched Brians video the other night and again today while taking notes. Brian, said a USA. super host fund was created for host that rent their entire home and only super hosts will receive this $5,000.00 grant which won't need to be repaid.. I've been searching the airbnb website for more details about when this will happen without luck until I found your comment. Where did you find or read about this being only by invitation process?

My home is my primary residents and in the summer of 2017, I put all my personal belongings except for furniture into storage. I've been moving out and moving back into my home every Friday and Sunday since then and during the summer I'm only there to clean and leave. I just had a guest ruin my Super Host status on March 8th, 2020 when she gave me a retaliatory 2 star rating. Airbnb is my primary source of income, I'm just looking for answers, The phone lines are closed and I'm tired of the resolution center asking me to provide receipt for repairs on damage I can't get quotes for during this pandemic. 

I honestly understand your frustration, but where did you read this is will be by invitation. 

Thank you,

@Elaina5 

Hi Elaina, it's all here....

https://www.airbnb.ie/superhostrelief?locale=en&_set_bev_on_new_domain=1484439896_XejlVeAPSxXXr74c

If you meet the eligibility criteria, we’ll invite you to apply and start sending out grants in late April 2020. 

Airbnb Invites Hosts Most In Need To Apply
We’ll invite hosts who offer a place to stay or an Airbnb Experience, meet eligibility criteria and are most in need to apply.
We’ll review applications from eligible hosts and approve relief grants of up to $5,000 USD (~£4,000) for each host, based on financial need.
This grant comes with no strings attached – hosts won’t need to repay it