A fair and long term response to the Covid 19 situation.

Susie213
Level 2
Liphook, United Kingdom

A fair and long term response to the Covid 19 situation.

Hi there, 

I would like to offer guests a 50% refund on this years stay and in addition  a choice of new dates for next year and if they book these, a 50% discount on their future stay. That way we both end up receiving and paying what we expected but my cashflow is helped. 

I just cannot continue for the next four months giving 100% of my income away. 

Historically when any community has come to terms with a unprecedented situation it's the sense of universal loss that has pulled it together.  Creating an artificial situation where hosts lose out at the expense of Airbnb and the guests is not a community, it feels more like a knee jerk reaction that hasn't been thought out. And what if this situation continues, are we expected to refund another wave of 100%'s  ? So we lose another month's income. 50% I get, but anymore and Airbnb are flouting every business model being suggested for companies across the world. No company is being expected to refund 100% of its income. 

I have people asking me to refund 100% May and June and they are telling me they are nurses and military  - when I've been on Facebook - sorry, I wouldn't usually do this but it just seemed weird that I received 2 messages in quick succession asking for cancellations saying they were nurses and military  - and I  found one was a beauty technician!  I haven't looked up the other because I just think ... this is getting crazy. If people just knew that we were all going to lose out, 50% each, then there would be no confusion. And this is what the initial contract we agreed to is all about, isn't it - clarity.

If hosts and guests see the initial contract in place after April 14th there will be no more confusion. 

Best wishes to you all and I hope you all stay safe. 

3 Replies 3
Lisa1222
Level 3
Dublin, OH

I hope they don’t extend the dates too and let us hosts decide how to handle things with our own cancellation policies. But I think they should also not penalize hosts if guests do cancel due to the covid crisis if they really are sincere about “we’re in this together”. That’s the least they can do for us hosts now after they’ve crushed so many of us financially. 

Susie213
Level 2
Liphook, United Kingdom

I'd like to know where the logic lies, or what the algorithm they used was for deciding to give us 25% of our income  -  a flat rate reaction to the next 4 months which yet again isn't equitable with the guest's  100% refund.  We all hurt in this situation, they should let the contracts speak for themselves. 

Susie213
Level 2
Liphook, United Kingdom

I'd like to know where the logic lies, or what the algorithm they used was for deciding to give us 25% of our income  -  a flat rate reaction to the next 4 months which yet again isn't equitable with the guest's  100% refund.  We all hurt in this situation, they should let the contracts speak for themselves. I hope all goes well for you, Lisa - it's a tough time. And from seeing one of the founders on screen, I don't think school fees will be on his radar quite yet! Very best wishes and stay safe, Susie