Airbnb NOT refunding service fees!

Andrew1928
Level 5
Te Anau, New Zealand

Airbnb NOT refunding service fees!

I just had a guest cancel a booking in June due to Covid 19 and he asked me if I could refund the $18 service fee as well! I explained this money goes to Airbnb and I do not get anything!

It seems Airbnb is manipulating the cancellation process and making it difficult for guests to confirm that covid 19 is the reason for their cancellation....so they can keep all the service fees! I just looked back and noticed this has happened several other times!

If you have a flexible or moderate cancellation policy, you will have probably noticed this as well? They appear as normal cancellations but are clearly covid 19 related. Hosts get nothing (as always) and Airbnb pockets the service fees!

Very bad look for hosts as guests think we are keeping the service fees ourselves. Airbnb...STOP IT!

11 Replies 11
Mary3907
Level 2
Bend, OR

I just had this problem too.  I asked a May reservation to cancel because the island of Maui is shut down.  Mandatory 14 quarantine, and short term rentals not allowed.   I have a notice that cancellations are allowed by guests through June 30 with full refunds.  Airbnb is holding back about $271 service fee.  

Same happened to me.

The host complety refunded my reservation and Airbnb kept the fee. Completely dishonest.

For a reservation in Spain !!!

Ginger-Jim0
Level 2
Evanston, IL

oh I just noticed this after posting my own thread about it and it started about April 27 and I still can't get the Guest canceled with a full refund under Normal Cancellation Policy.  3 days after contacting CS I have nothing.  

I will check about this to all my cancelled guests , thank you .

Ellen690
Level 1
Rhode Island, United States

Just tried to voice the same problem - Airbnb is robbing both the guests and the hosts!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

To some extend Airbnb incurs the same cost whether a reservation goes through or not, so in many cases it is understandable they keeping their fees. Hosts however should be very hesitant to get involve with the 'fee' issue between guests and Airbnb because they have zero control over them and that is Airbnb's business. 

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

This is very upsetting. I am happy to refund my guests, no question. But the Airbnb extenuating policy has been implemented initially to cover only short time frame, and extended too late for cancellations, so that most guests are not covered and are paying service fees. I have to apologise to guests  but explain that I have no control over service fees. Poor show Airbnb. Guests will not forget!  

@Steven65 

I'm trying to find out details of this for certain. I believe in the Covid-19EC that Airbnb refunded their Service fees based on the 'applicable dates' which changed over time. Now, the applicable dates i the UK run to 15th July. This is after Hotels and B&B's are expected to be open for business on 4th July. 

With pre-March 15th bookings

i) Guests who 'attest' for a Covid cancellation up to or then after 15th July - do they get their service fees refunded do you know?

ii) Do fees get refunded where evidence is provided?

In i) Vouchers are provided as a refund. In ii) Cash is provided.

What are your guests actually saying about these retained service fees?

@Mary3907 

Since my post in April I have not had problems with canceling guest stays.  The episode that I mentioned in that post was soon resolved and the guest received a full refund.   I’ve had three or four more cancellations since that time.  But all ended with full refunds for the guests. I just canceled another reservation this morning. It was due to start July 15 on Maui. Last night the Hawaiian governor announced an extension of their 14 day strict quarantine through July 31.  This guest also has received a full refund.

so, so far the EC policy has been working for me.

@Steven65 

I made a reservation in November 2019 for August 2020.  Host had strict cancel policy.  When covid reared its ugly head, ABB was very slow to react as far as cancellations were concerned.  Our flights to Europe were cancelled, our cruise was cancelled, there was no way we could stay in Edinburgh this August.  The host was wonderfully understanding and did a full refund.  ABB, however, said the cancel was not within their policy and would not refund service fee.  Since their newest policy says they will refund for my original stay dates, it does appear that ABB has been just a step behind all along and will continue to keep service fees even though their policy changes.  We missed it by not waiting on ABB to update the policy.  Can you imagine how many people in the US would actually wait till July to cancel an August reservation in Europe, especially with flights cancelled?  Europe is not letting us in anyway.  I just think ABB is not treating this as they should.  I’m almost certain that they spent more than the amount of my service fee on the message personnel that fed the company line to me since June 7.  It’s amazing the amount of scripting that goes on.  See the final and shortest message I received (July 3 quoted below) and note that ABB closed the case with a false reason, that my check-in date was not in the approved period.  Since my check-in date was Aug 5, that is clearly within the current extenuating circumstances policy; however, of course they mean it wasn’t within their policy on the date it was actually cancelled.  Again, I guess ABB expected us to wait just in case the travel was on again?  I can’t really figure what they’re doing except not the right thing.    

“Jul 3, 2020 Airbnb Support10:37 PM

Hi Sally,
This is Jennifer again from Airbnb. I trust you are well.
After gathering and carefully reviewing all related documentation, we decided to uphold with our COVID-19 extenuating circumstances policy, and we're unable to issue further refund because your check-in date does not fall within the approved period.

We consider this decision final. We appreciate your utmost understanding on this matter.
Best regards,

󱜄This support case is closed. Still need help? Visit our Help Center. 10:45 PM