Airbnb Profiting from Emergency Accommodation Covid-19

Emma690
Level 4
Hove, United Kingdom

Airbnb Profiting from Emergency Accommodation Covid-19

I have had two bookings cancelled because of Covid-19 and expect many more to cancel.  Those up to 14 April got a full refund and I expect that policy will extend to cover many more bookings.

As my house is now empty - I rent out a whole house to large groups and do not live in it -  I offered it at a very low price to local people who need emergency accommodation because of Covid-19.  Many people who share with the elderly or people with medical conditions are having to move out because they cannot risk infecting them.  Other people are stuck here because they cannot now keep travel plans but have already moved out of their accommodation.

I have now accepted a booking from a couple stuck in the UK and have only charged them a very, very low rent.  Not even close to the amount needed to cover my monthly costs for the house.  They cannot afford much and I really think we all need to help each other at this time.

I will make no profit from this booking but Airbnb will.  They have refused to remove either their guest or host charges and so will be creaming off about £5 a night from this booking. 

I thought I saw an announcement from Airbnb that they would waive these charges or was that just more free publicity at the hosts' expense?  Or was I dreaming?

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Emma690 

The whole world is in a dire situation including small businesses such as ours.

My heart goes out to all those who have lost and will lose their loved ones. My focus at the moment is on my loved ones and my communities and doing what I can personally to minimise the risk of this horrible virus from spreading.

I have blocked my listing for the next few months as I don't want to, even in a small way higher the risk by having visitors from all over coming to my listing and mixing with my local community.

As you said there will be local key workers who will need to continue to work and may need local accommodation.

You need to do what is right for you and yours. If those staying with you can't afford to pay the going rate which covers your core costs you may need to ask them to move on if  their family and friends can't help them pay the market rate, it is not your job to subsidise them.

By the way Airbnb are returning all fees for cancelled bookings so will be losing a huge amount managing this situation. Let's hope it doesn't affect the viability of their business.

Emma690
Level 4
Hove, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen3 

thank you for your comments.  We all need to support each other at this awful time.

I'm not sure you properly understood my post.  I have lost my holiday bookings due to cancellations or moving the bookings to a later date in the year.  Obviously, I do not want to facilitate people to travel at this dangerous time.

I also considered blocking my calendar but accommodation is needed on an emergency basis.  Not only by key workers but by stranded travellers.

For this reason I have allowed two people to stay in my holiday let at a very low rent until the emergency passes.  Under no circumstance would I insist they move out and make them homeless at this dreadful time!

My point is that Airbnb should not be profiting from his emergency and they still are.  They should forgo their service charges on this type of booking

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Emma690 

Can I make a small suggestion, if the people living with you are from the UK you can ask them to apply for universal credit. This is being fast tracked. This will cover an element of their housing costs which they can pass onto you.

I think it is lovely you are letting them stay but we have to balance kindness against the risk of losing our homes.

As I said in previous post Airbnb are returning fees in full for bookings cancelled under their EC policy for the virus.

Emma690
Level 4
Hove, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen3 

Thank you for your suggestion but it is not that practical.  Universal credit is barely enough to live on and many people needing emergency accommodation also have to continue to pay rent on their normal home.  I'm not sure if you are aware of this but people living with over 70s and people with health conditions have been recommended to move out as they pose a risk of infection to them.  In my case, my guest travelled from the US some time ago to visit someone in the UK and was due to return next week.  She is now stuck here because of the travel ban and the other guest has to move out because they share with an over 70.

I think all hosts know why Airbnb are refunding guests at the moment and are fully supportive of the fact that guests need to change their travel plans.  That is not my point.

Neither is whether or not the guests moving in to my house as emergency accommodation can afford the rent. 

My point, and the only point I was making in my original post, is that in the light of the current Covid-19 worldwide emergency, Airbnb should not be making a profit from hosts who are willing to offer up their empty holiday accommodation to help people in need. 

I would be happy to hear your comments on this.