Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Why exactly are we being told to bear 100% of the financial burden of this? Oh, right, because Airbnb doesn't actually care about the hosts or their financial well being.

And we aren't Marriott, or United or Airbnb that will probably get bail outs from the government.  We just get slammed with the fall out.

The costs for cancellation should be split 50/50. If the guest took out travel insurance then it won't be an issue for them. It always, always seems to fall on the hosts to eat the costs if there's adverse weather or events and guests want to cancel. It's incredibly frustrating.

596 Replies 596

how do you know they are doing this???

Steven962
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

It is astounding that Airbnb expects the burden of this disaster to be absorbed by hosts.  Anything less than a 50/50 split is unconscionable

Elena2825
Level 2
Oslo, NO

Our only chance to get Airbnb to act quickky & make changes to this policy is a Mediastorm. If we utilize all social media out there to highlight the implications of Airbnb decision on the hosts, we can reach a lot of compassionate people out there. We can be open, emotional & woulnerable as private people sharing homes, relying on this service to pay our bills. And feeling completely ripped off by their terrible policy. This will damage their brand for sure! 

We are one community which the guests are also a part of! 50/50 split is just fair to expect to make this sharing model to work sustainably. 

Lawsuits take too Long, but media storms are highly effective. The main challenge is to get the attention out there especially now. Any experts on PR here? 

Let's join forces and mobilize. 

Agree.  there is already discussion of hitting the media through a large host association in the palm springs area.  I just don't know how long it will take because right now everyone is scrambling to figure out how to just survive.   Hopefully there will be some long term repercussions and Airbnb will feel worse damage than they are inflicting on their hosts.

I completely agree. I think we should also review Airbnb in any web...I just did in 2 , Trust pilot and Sitejabber....no idea about the second but i just wanted to review them badly!! 

I will continue the saga and I'm happy to join any action against them.  I'll leave but i want to leave them with repercussions of their reckless behaviour ! 

#Airbnb #CLASSACTIONLAWSUIT #AirbnbDoesNOTSupportItsHosts #AngryAirbnbHost
Airbnb 100% SCREWED IT'S HOSTS!! @Airbnb 

I spent 6 long years as a 5 star SUPERHOST & they Canceled 100% $3,300 of my bookings in 2 days!!! Most of us have a STRICT NO REFUNDS Cancellation Policy to Protect Our Investments and Livelihood. GUESTS have a choice to book Flexible or Moderate instead with someone else. I know This is bad for everyone BUT....WHAT about US Hosts??

They are canceling Everyone NO Questions asked for ONE MONTH! WHY is ONLY the host who keeps The Airbnb Business Model afloat The ONLY Ones TO BEAR THE FINANCIAL BURDEN???😢😖😡 100%LOSS TO ONLY the HOST??! THEY ARE a Multimillion $ Company and We have Liability Insurance so NOW what???!

@Airbnb @You can't JUST OVERRIDE OUR STRICT Cancellation Policy and Give 100% refund to a GUEST & NOTHING TO US!! Hold on to The Money in a Future TRAVEL Voucher Valid for ONE Year Valid ONLY To the Original Host (Same rates are Fair!!) OR Why not a 50/50 Split? So WE are not the ONLY ONES who will Go broke with NO Income for a month or Two Or Three By your Policy that YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO Override!?! HOW ARE THOSE of us all over the world Supposed to pay our Bills when We depend on AIRBNB for INCOME!? GUESTS CAN PURCHASE TRAVEL INSURANCE!!! WE as hosts can do NOTHING to offset this loss except Suck it Up While Airbnb cancels now for Anyone??! Doesn't even matter if they are traveling 1 hour before check in??! Sorry for the Airbnb HOST it seems! AIRBNB HOSTS ALL OVER THE WORLD just got thrown under the Bus!! AIRBNB is a MULTIMILLION dollar company! WE ALL need find out How to recoup Money Airbnb Stole out of all of our pockets leaving us with NO way to Pay MORTGAGES and Bills. Airbnb says "we give our hosts in this time no cancellation fee/no penalty??! Like doing us a Favor!! Yet IF we cancel even ONE yes 1 time in 1 year we LOSE Superhost for ONE FULL YEAR as a severe Penalty?! They hold us to the fire. If we drop below 4.8 stars we LOSE Superhost status 1 Quarter (4 months) until We EARN it back with All 5 ☆☆☆☆☆🤬😤😤
These are Hosts from All over the world getting MoneyThey need To Survive Taken with NO choice! 
Yes the guests don't want to lost $ either But WHY 100% to the HOST Only!!?? It will Mean Financial Ruin for US! #Livid #PissedOff #Airbnb #AirbnbFixThis #AirbnbCovid19 #AirbnbCancellations

@James207 @Richard529 @Sophie534 

Aisling40
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb is worth $38 billion. They can give the travellers back their money (which they’ve been earning interest on for months in many cases anyway). But they should also make sure hosts get paid. Nobody should lose to this.

Airbnb will get such great coverage for this because people won’t realise. 

Nasty thing to do to the people who generate your cash, Airbnb. We’ll remember it. I’ve closed all days in my listing. 

This is an absolute travesty. I am out thousands and I am sure the people at AirBnb think it is hilarious. 

A major issue Airbnb is not recognizing is that the guests cancelling are generally out just the one loss for their reservation.   Hosts are each experiencing multiple cancellations.   And for those hosts who might have multiple homes, the multiple cancellations are financially devastating.   So far I have 7 cancellations in April alone, which is the month I generally make the most money each year and it has to cover my expenses for the slow summer months.

Sara-and-Ian0
Level 4
Kinsale, Ireland

ive just written a letter to Airbnb after finding out (seeing a post on Facebook) that they’ve extended their extenuating circumstances policy and are giving any guest that cancels 100% back. 
Over the last 48 hours we’ve had around €5k of cancellations ( we have 2 small busy studios). All of these fell under the 50% refund ... fair enough. A couple of guests contacted us to explain their situation a d we refunded more or offered discounted rates on future bookings. 

I’m  appalled Airbnb didn’t have the decency to write to hosts explaining their now updated 100% automatic refund system. 

Can we all take time out to let Airbnb know we are unhappy hosts? You never know... someone may take notice! ( my letter is copied below). and whilst writing this I’ve yet another cancellation pinged up on my phone... 

Hi there,
I’ve just read (on Facebook) that Airbnb have extended their extenuating circumstances policy to enable guests to cancel any reservation made before March 14th for stays until April 14th and obtain a full refund. No matter where they are travelling to or from.

Can you please confirm if this information is correct?

If this is correct, I would like Airbnb to note my intense dissatisfaction with this decision, also my disappointment that Airbnb have not had the courtesy to e-mail hosts regarding their decision.

We completely understand that this situation is out of all of our hands, but why do we as hosts have to bear the financial brunt of this? I would imagine a very high percentage of travellers hold valid travel insurance which would go some way to covering these losses... I know for a fact I’ve already checked my situation with my travel insurance company for our planned trips. I wouldn’t dream of cancelling my booking and expecting a full refund from the host I’m booked with, I’ll use my insurance if we do have to cancel.

A 50/50 split or discretionary refunds should be in place. You are playing with people’s livelihoods.

I’m really disappointed with the position Airbnb have taken with this current changing Coronavirus situation. It really feels very loaded in the guests favour. Please remember, it takes good guests AND good hosts to run this business. If either aren’t supported it’s a very bad role model.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,
Stay safe,
Best Wishes

Yes.  Firmly under the bus.  I simply can not believe Airbnb is making us shoulder this financial loss.  I feel abandoned by Airbnb.  I have been a host since 2012.  Grrr.

Not surprised at all. Name a time time they have ever backed hosts over guests? They think we are dispensable and are always happy to sacrifice us.

Paul351
Level 8
Dublin, Ireland

Airbnb stabbed the hosts in the back. Let’s promise each other that we will never forget what they did to us.  They cannot be trusted again.

Melissa934
Level 4
Miami, FL

Exactly! When they say that they're protecting the community, they mean that they're protecting the guests only. Aren't we part of the community too? In my case, I had a March full of bookings and I had just invested high in new beddings and other treats for guests. I also had the cleaning professionals aware of the full month. Everyone was counting on the money. Now, suddenly, there is no more money. If Airbnb wants to state that they care and they protect guests, then they pay for this statement, not me!!!! I'm really thinking about leaving Airbnb. They have showed that they're not reliable. I did not allow anyone to change my policy settings, especially not asking me so, but due to the unthinkable situation would I think it would be fair if there was a 50%-50% burden for guests and host.

Adam1174
Level 2
New York, NY

For a company that is valued over $30B, it's unfortunate that we as "small business owners" are the ones to absorb the burden for how @Airbnb is handling this. I agree it's the right thing to do to refund customers, but wish we as hosts could have been given more choices or options prior to these decisions being made. 

I've spoken with customer support over the phone and they have urged me (And i would urge other hosts as well) to leave this feedback at airbnb.com/feedback. Hoping doing so can result in some relief for hosts that have been adversely impacted by this unexpected situation.