Airbnb encourage the guests to cancel immediately—this way my payout outside the 14 day is only half of the rent, otherwise within 14 days A

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

Airbnb encourage the guests to cancel immediately—this way my payout outside the 14 day is only half of the rent, otherwise within 14 days A

Really?!! Airbnb encourages the guests to cancel immediately—this way my payout outside the 14 day is only half of the rent, otherwise within 14 days Airbnb would have to pay 25% of the full rent. By encourage them to CANCEL NOW, airbnb ensures they only have to pay 12.5% of the total, instead of the real 25% of the total. My end of May guest was going to postpone (we already communicated about this last week), but after he received the new email from Airbnb ENCOURAGE him to cancel, he decided to cancel right away, and he did. He also told me Airbnb is giving him a voucher, and the 10% Airbnb serivce fee refund also is a voucher. 

4 Replies 4
Sharon480
Level 5

not sure how long the voucher is good for? If some guests forget to use before voucher expire, that’s another gain for Airbnb.

Sharon480
Level 5

Anyone?

Yes, it is a shame that after they made the bold statement of wanting to 'help' hosts (from the mess up they created by offering 100% refunds). It appears they are doing all they can to con the host out of actually receiving the help they promised. 

25% of the full pay out that was due is not enough to keep many hosts and the other workers they employ to run their properties, but it is at least something.
Being conniving and trying to make sure the hosts get as little as possible, shows exactly how much Airbnb value us as hosts. Without hosts, Airbnb would not have become the multi billion dollar company it is, but they are willing to throw us all under the bus, just to protect their PR image.

We feel utterly disappointed

Carolyn23
Level 3
Louisville, KY

I have guest who has to cancel due to Covid; reservation was made before March 14, and trip is scheduled for last week of April. Guest was told refund of 50%, or credit for future travel. Wouldn't guest be entitled to 100% refund? Cannot accept guests now anyway because room is in house and we are on lock down. So what do I do to get guest refund? Or are hosts supposed to receive a part of refund? I am confused.