And, we're done. Bye AirBNB

Answered!

And, we're done. Bye AirBNB

We listed our beloved home on @Airbnb a few years ago, and while the extra money was helpful, it didn't really yield that much more than what we would have gotten renting it out on the normal property market.  All in all, it's been a positive experience (with the exception of @Airbnb plus , which was a total disaster and mismanaged). 

We now find ourselves shocked and disappointed by the total lack of care from AirBNB, as we all try to navigate through this challenging new world. 

After losing thousands of dollars in bookings, in just a few hours, we are done and putting our apartment on the rental market. Never to be listed on @Airbnb again. We don't trust the platform, and now realise that they really don't care about hosts.

I'm wondering how many of you are doing the same? Will you weather the virus storm, or are you also out? 

We are in Melbourne, Australia - superhosts, who have only ever had glowing reviews. Not that any of that hard work matters anymore... 

48 Replies 48
Bradley122
Level 3
Washington, DC

where is the class action lawsuit from hosts?

I think that will be a possibility, once all of this blows over. 

They are announcing financial support for industries impacted by the Virus in Australia, however I don't think hosts will be considered in that package.  

I'll consider joining it!

do you want to organize it and start it up, I will join!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Strange, all these panic cancellations... I've never been busier! And I home share!

All of our guests were from overseas... 

I'm still getting bookings too! I have had a few cancellations but not too many. 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca-and-Mike0  I hope you are well.

Very sorry to hear this, but hardly a surprise given the situation and its handling.

A few of the hosts I work for are looking into listing back on the standard rental market for the next 6 months or so- but with lots of (currently uncancelled) bookings in the calendar in the lead up to summer, stuck between a rock and hard place in terms of taking action.

It's such a shame, we have bookings mid year that we'll have to cancel, because we just can't afford to have the apartment sitting empty for the next three months. It's pretty devastating, we have worked really hard to provide a beautiful space, and have spent a lot on picking the right furniture; which is now all going to be sold for a portion of what we paid for it. 

Although we are disappointed, we are very aware that there are other people, businesses and communities hurting a lot more than us, we are grateful that we can rent out apartment out, and that we've been in a position to own properties.  It's still hard not to feel a little sorry for ourselves! 

@Rebecca-and-Mike0 

Absolutely it's such a shame.

And you have every right to feel sorry for yourselves and the impact this situation has left you in.

Well done for taking positive action to make your property still work for you, even though I'm sure the process feels very sad.

@Rebecca-and-Mike0 if you are intending to cease your Airbnb activities, I hope you will consult other hosts and seek out suitable alternate accommodations, for the guests who already have reservations with you, before closing down your listing.

We had three months of bookings cancel. The others are mid year, we are comfortable that they have enough time to find alternatives. 

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

think of this as a "market correction for your life" or a "survival of the fittest" or even an "only the strong survive". If you're bowing out after a few weeks of a pandemic then you were nearly on the way out for a while. If you think you're going to list on another STR website and do any kind of similar business, forget about it. Airbnb is the king of the market.