Are we going to be shut down? Perhaps a taste of what's to come...

Linda1621
Level 3
Oregon, United States

Are we going to be shut down? Perhaps a taste of what's to come...

I've just seen in the news that some cities like Warrenton and Astoria, Oregon are shutting down "hotels, homestay lodging, and other short-term rentals" in response to the coronavirus, for two weeks minimum, and perhaps an indefinite period (until the state of emergency is over.)

I've been following some of the discussions here regarding cancellations and refunds, but I'm wondering if all of those conversations will soon be moot.

I'm in southern Oregon, and I wouldn't be surprised if other cities, states, and countries follow suit. Are any other areas already doing the same?

3 Replies 3
Cynthia753
Level 2
Hoboken, NJ

I'm an Airbnb host in Hoboken, NJ. Yesterday, the mayor banned all short term rentals including Airbnb indefinitely. My guest bookings for March and April cancelled within Airbnb's coronavirus window but I still have an April booking and one in May that don't fall in the window. I've closed all open dates until the end of the year and imagine Airbnb will have to extend cancellations after April 14. I want to comply with Hoboken's law, but if I cancel on these guests I'll be penalized. I'm going to have to wait for them to cancel I guess. No news from Airbnb on this, though the mayor said he notified the company. 

@Cynthia753   Hang tight. That window is almost certain to extend as the date gets closer. Airbnb probably just doesn't want all its cancellations for later dates coming in all at once because of cash flow issues. 

I'm guessing your local law does not require you to sweep all future reservations off the books, in which case you're still in compliance whether the cancellation happens today or next week, etc.   Even so, it's helpful to communicate the situation to the guests so that they can begin adjusting their plans accordingly. 

Linda1621
Level 3
Oregon, United States

I keep thinking Airbnb will extend cancellations and I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. It seems more and more like this is not going to end in 2-4 weeks. I wonder what they are waiting for?