Beware of the coming wave.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Beware of the coming wave.

A second wave of COVID-19 is going to visit all countries!

This might seem boring but can you please continue to read this post because the second part of it is important to everyone!!

As of yesterday Friday 15th May, my state has been officially classified coronavirus free! We have beaten this bug

S.A current as of April 9.png

Current SA covid-19 free at last!.png

But this doesn’t mean we are out of trouble. We are still social distancing and we are keeping our borders closed. It will probably be the end of the year before we allow international travelers back into this state.

Countries who have got on top of the virus such as South Korea are finding that they are facing renewed outbreaks and the main reason for this is the current method of coronavirus testing…..it is simply not reliable!

This South Korean epidemiologist explains why there is a weak spot in the system.

https://youtu.be/QwoNP9QWr4Y?t=698

This may be difficult to follow because it is in spoken Korean, but it is subtitled. If you watch from 4 minutes 20 seconds until about 9 minutes, he explains the flaw in the testing system.

It is not known as yet if people who have been infected and subsequently have recovered have antibodies that prevent them from being re-infected. It is more probable that they have a relapse…..not a re-infection.

As this doctor states, the virus needs a minimum of 3,000 replications in the human body before it will show up as a positive result! Under that 3,000 replications the result will show as, negative. Now that’s not to say the person does not have coronavirus, it just means there is not enough of the virus in the body to show as a positive result!

Someone can be given the all clear, been given medication to alleviate the symptoms and after time test negative, but still have the virus active in their system. Because they have been cleared they don’t worry about social distancing and they just mingle into the community and……….this is where the second spike is going to come from.

We are aware of this here in our state which is why we still haven’t opened up Pubs and restaurants and sporting activities such as football, despite the fact that we are coronavirus free!

Please be aware there will be a second spike in this disease and prepare for it. Take notice of what this doctor is saying. He is a professional and knows exactly what he is talking about…….. unlike the US president.

Stay safe, stick with social quarantining, if you do, we will all be able to get back to normal far quicker than if we try to kid ourselves that there are short-cuts here.

Cheers……..Rob

49 Replies 49
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Juan63 I thumbs up the first half of your reply to Robbie, ("There is no 'When it's safe...')  not the second!

@Helen350 well we can't all be perfect..lol 🙂

@Robbie54 I know exactly point, the one you have forgotten. Staying home was meant to prevent our hospitals from being overrun. We did that. The coronavirus will not magically disappear. Your game plan has no viable end game. There will not be a day when it has simply disappeared. So for now, your game plan is staying home until who knows when.

Well, your great state is opening up just as the cases are rising, so good luck with that.   Be sure to take the hydroxychloroquine now & don't forget Mr. Pence says it will all be over by  Memorial day. Wait, wasn't it supposed to be gone by Easter? Oh well, Next week, for sure.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Robbie54 @Sally221 @Juan63 

We all have different views and opinions, especially where politics are concerned. Please respect that for the sake of a healthy discussion. As always, you may attack an argument in debate but do not attack the person giving it. 

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Sally221 Duh, it's obvious cases will rise when you open up. That's not a reason to stay shut down unless you are ready to shut down indefinitely. This virus is not going away, do you not understand that? There will never be a cure. The important number is the mortality rate, not to mention testing has gone up significantly which will intern discover more infections. Hospitals are not overrun, in fact they are firing staff and asking the feds for money because they are so empty. I am a born and raised San Diego who now calls Texas home. And I'm not the only one. California lost more residents last year than it gained, it's bankrupt,  has feces up and down the streets from the 1000's of homeless camps and very few can even afford a home. So don't lecture your President when your state's government is a horrible failure. The people are horrible failures for voting them into office.

So the Golden state is failing, every one is fleeing but houses are too expensive? We are horrible failures for voting our Governor into office but the president, who won by gaming the system is above reproach? The logic is impeccable.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Again, I agree with the first part, the need to open up & get people EARNING, but not the second political bit... (As a Brit I'm too far removed from US politics!)

Cases have increased a bit because in many of the US states they've of increased testing, particularly serological testing. Deaths and hospitalizations are way way down.  Even in NYC...the data is available for all locations, no one needs to be ignorant about it...just look it up on the official websites of the local, state and national health departments.  Or you can continue to get your info from clickbate. Suit yourself.
If you are afraid of a 2nd wave, stay home, keep your country shut down.  It doesn't affect the US one bit.  Only problem is we all know you're all going to come crying to the US to bail you out after you've crushed your economies into unrecoverable devastation (including California).

We Californians are part of the U.S. & a huge contributor to the economy & I get most of my data from respected institutions like Columbia & Johns Hopkins. Sadly, the CDC  is no longer completely reliable. No matter how the data is massaged, real stuff is going to happen in the states which decided that the economy was somehow both separate from and more important than people's health. This is a science experiment playing out even as we speak and the coming weeks will demonstrate whose hypothesis was correct. Mother nature doesn't play politics.

Part of California's  massive contribution to the economy comes from agriculture & Tech which are functioning with social distancing. San Francisco had a 1 billion plus tourist economy, who but a covidiot would be visiting right now?   We are being cautious as "" about reopening because we know a second wave would be incredibly costly both in lives lost and economically.

The world knows that the U.S. has walked away from all it's former allies, isn't interested in science, prefers authoritarian regimes such as Saudi Arabia(and Brazil, which is having a terrible time with covid)  and is unable to come up with a coherent plan to do much of anything. Any future bailouts will come from China. 

@Robbie54 Chris Whitty has given me the info I need to feel safe and continue on with my life. Maybe you should turn your attention away from Donald Trump?

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The "wave" model is normal for every virus spreading. It's the same with the flu and all other respiratory viruses. The danger is still here.

Dimitar, are you talking science to Trump supporters? Why? We are currently engaged in a nationwide experiment in magical thinking, please don't hassle us with silly stuff like actual data & peer reviewed studies, it's too confusing. XO Sally

@Sally221what is the situation near you? Getting better or worse...

It's slowly getting better here, we were lucky, our local officials closed down before anyone else (including New York) & our curve is flattening & death rates have slowed considerably or are static in the counties around San Francisco bay. It's probably too soon to tell, it's a novel virus, isn't it?

It's going to take a long time to recover & the way our constitution is structured we are pitifully underrepresented in our senate- every state gets 2 senators  & it takes 21 states in the middle of the country  to equal our population-  40,000,00 + and we are also the biggest contributor to our countries GNP. The 5th or 6th biggest economy in the world, used to be 8th but maybe legalizing marijuana pushed us up?

We make the money, we are a cultural powerhouse but in terms of political power it's all about the Midwestern states. Taxation without representation for sure. Empires rise, empires fall, we are looking more like Rome in the time of emperors every day.