Booking an Airbnb in Tier 4 London for work

Booking an Airbnb in Tier 4 London for work

Hi,

I'm interested in booking an airbnb in London for 2 weeks during the Tier 4 lockdown (most likely  the end ofJanuary). While these are less than ideal circumstances, this would be a work trip and I would have the appropriate documentation verifying that from my employer. Additionally, I have been quarantined for the past 10 months and have tested negative most recently a week ago.

I would be traveling from the US, so I'm a little uneducated on the current guidelines.

According to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home#travel, such trips are allowed for work, but I wanted to ensure that

1. They would be upheld and allowed by the airbnb hosting community.
  2. If a host was willing to allow me into their home, they would not be able to cancel/decline my reservation prior to the start date without a refund.

I would appreciate any and all help regarding these two questions, thanks!

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Parthiv1 You should be OK to do this. Just make sure you are up front with the host and record everything on Airbnb messages. 

You do realise you will need a non home share host (ie complete home) AND you will have to isolate if coming from abroad for 14 (may be 10) days.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Thank you for your response! I will be sure to record all communication. And yes, I will definitely be looking for a non home-share host.

Although the government has stated that an individual traveling to the UK may end self-isolation early if they are able to take a COVID-19 test with a private test provider, I fully intend to wait the required 10 days if one can't be found, after which I will follow the tier restrictions that are in place.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-...

@Parthiv1 If I understand your plans correctly then it does not make sense and the police/border officials may have an issue with you. You say you are coming for 14 days and yet the majority will be spent confined to a flat/house. As such you would have to work from home (as you will post quarantine per the rules unless you HAVE to go into the workplace). If your work can be done from London it can equally be done from your current location.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Why would border officials have an issue with me entering the UK? There is no travel ban that I'm aware of preventing foreign nationals from entering the country.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Parthiv1 Border officials can refuse entry to whoever they want if they suspect the trip is not in line with government legislation. If your trip doesn't make sense then you risk being turned away. Just look at the Netherlands who currently  are turning away travellers without a good reason to travel.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Entirely possible, however the UK doesn't have a blanket travel ban the way that the US does. As long as the purpose of visit is in line with what's allowed: work (as my trip would fall under since it's necessary to be there), volunteer services, seeking primary residence, etc, their primary concern would be the self-isolation of the individual.

In either regard, it will depend on the announcement being made tonight by the government and how restrictions will be exacerbated. If a travel ban is implemented, it would render this a moot point.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry your post doesn't make sense. You say you are travelling to London as your employer has stated to you need to be at the location for work.

Yet at the same time say you are able to isolate for at least 10 out of the 14 days to meet our legislation for those travelling here from abroad that need to quarantine.

How do those two statements not contradict each other.

What essential work are you doing in London that necessitates you travelling here during a national lockdown @Parthiv1