Brian's Message was sincere but unsatisfactory for the host

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Brian's Message was sincere but unsatisfactory for the host

First of all, thank you Brian for taking the time to leave this message and for the countless hours your team has put in. I truly appreciate it. I am only speaking for myself, but none of your proposed plans made me feel more comfortable with the situation.

• Take back all the handouts, I want to know what is our roadmap to succeed. I wanted to hear that full refund cancellations due to Covid-19 would end or not end and by when. So I can decided the fate of my Airbnb.

• I wanted the guests to receive full credit, a 50% refund or more if the host agreed.

• None of your proposals involved the host being part of the process.

• The 12.5% payment to hosts is a joke. I hope the 25% number was not intentional as to make the payment to hosts seem larger than it is.

Once again I really appreciate your effort, but as for me. I don't think your team has listened.

30 Replies 30
Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I meant "this" host. I'm only speaking for myself

Ocean50
Level 6
Revesby, Australia

@Juan63 

Do you have a full statement that you can post up? was it just a proposal or it will come in effect soon?

I don't know what to think about this, at least he throws us a bone, better than the last CS and kinda half fair in a way consider the covid 19 situation. But we are still getting the bad part of the deal.

@Ocean50  Here is the summary. Once you get into the details, I don't like it.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Key-takeaways-from-CEO-Brian-Chesky-s-message-to-our-hos...

@Juan63 

Yep... the devil is in the details! Especially so, in this instance..  ;))

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Ocean50 

Here you go...

Brian Chesky's Letter To Hosts

https://news.airbnb.com/a-letter-to-hosts/

The Superhost Relief Fund

https://www.airbnb.ie/superhostrelief

$250M Support To Hosts Impacted By Cancellations - Resource Centre

https://www.airbnb.ie/resources/hosting-homes/a/250m-to-support-hosts-impacted-by-cancellations-165

Tim691
Level 2
Brentwood, TN

What do you mean by 12.5%?   They are only giving us 25% of the 50% cancelation charge???

It’s post May 31 the issue for me.  I am reading that to mean guests can cancel for no penalty or recommit to stay.  That means an avalanche of cancelations.  Why not even if you will still do trip to find much lower rates???

@Tim691 Yes, 25% of your cancellation take, amounting to 12.5%.

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

@Tim691you're lucky to be getting that! Hosts with the company preferred flexible or moderate cancellation policies will receive nothing at all! If all my July bookings get cancelled, I'll be losing a 5-figure sum.

@Bob40 It sounds like everyone, regardless of cancelation policy selected, is going to get zero for post May 31 bookings so I will be right there with you in July.   And it’s more than July to be worried about.  I have 3 properties fully booked through October.  I am planning to lose all of those bookings.  

This morning I messaged all of my upcoming guests and asked them if they have to cancel please do so 6 days before the checkin date ( luckily I have a strict cancellation policy). I told them how Airbnb are screwing over hosts but also told them I understand if they need their monies back sooner rather than later as most people are suffering financially. This is the most I can do to prevent a 100% earning loss.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes, carefully worded to keep mentioning the 25%, which sounds appealing to those who thought they were getting nothing (a host I know messaged me today to say great, at least we are getting paid back 25% of our bookings and told him sadly, no, that is not what it means and you will still have to get rid of give up your apartment).

Nowhere was it mentioned that some hosts will receive 12.5% and that many other hosts will receive nothing...

Just another PR exercise. 

Great Brian that your employees are putting $1 million into a fund for hosts, while you and the other bigwigs at Airbnb are putting in a combined $9 million from your multi billion coffer.

Lucy187
Level 2
Montpelier, VT

What’s upsetting is that the relief is based on our normal cancellation policy in what is anything but normal times. So the ones who benefit most are the ones with a strict cancellation policy. This is absolutely not fair as we all suffered equally. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

If I were guest I would want a full refund given that Airbnb has a well advertised Extenuating Circumstances policy and these times are, without doubt, extenuating.

As a host I am glad of any help from Airbnb (even 12.5%) as it is not their fault we are in this situation. I am also VERY HAPPY that, provided we can survive financially to the end of this outbreak, guests will be even more likely to book with Airbnb and we will all go back to making a decent living.

For those continuing to complain I suggest you spare a thought for the millions of other people who have lost their jobs due. to the Corona Virus -  As hosts we have no god-give right to be immune to this.

@Mike-And-Jane0  As Brian said, this was a once in a lifetime event, and should have been handled that way. Show me where it said a full refund was the advertised policy under Extenuating Circumstances. You can't, because it doesn't exist. It wasn't meant for this as it was never expected. His words, not mine. They could have created a more fair policy from here on out. I actually came to grips with their horrible decision in March, they thought they were doing the right thing. But when you wrap your head around how they treated and continue to treat hosts, it's bad. I'm glad they can satisfy you with an extra steak dinner.