Cancellation of flights due to government restrictions, and unwillingness to refund for booking

Eli19852
Level 1
Tel Aviv, Israel

Cancellation of flights due to government restrictions, and unwillingness to refund for booking

Hello, dear community!
Please help us with your advice in case we have.
We booked a vacation on December 21-26, and unfortunately about 4 days before our government decided to update the restrictions and banned flying to the destination we chose.
Our flight was canceled and we received a refund for the flight, we contacted the host of the apartment we booked, and he does not agree to cancel or change the dates of our stay.
And even when we contact AirBnB support we got the same answer.
It is very disappointing that in such a challenging period, no consideration is given to such cases which are beyond our control at all.
I can understand the host because he is also losing in this case, but it was possible and right to think of some way to consider and come towards us.
It's too bad/sad we had to lose $ 1,000 for something he was in control of

What would you do in this situation?

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Eli19852 I would claim on my travel insurance although I fear many will have exclusions for this.

There is going to be a spate of issues like yours in the UK especially if the UK Government locks down after Christmas per the latest rumours. 

Reading the contract you effectively agreed to when you booked it is clear that the Extenuating Circumstances policy does not allow refunds for Government travel restrictions. I have a suspicion this is illegal under English law but I guess we will all find out in time.

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

@Eli19852 

Your host is within his rights to refuse a refund/change of dates. Whether that is right or not is an entirely different matter.

How did you approach your host? Finding the right words to ask for refunds is difficult; be aware that many hosts feel badly treated by @Airbnb in relation to the Covid pandemic.

I had a refund request last night - I read it very carefully, and replied that I would likely be much more svmpathetic if the little missing « Pl… » word were to appear! 😉

Have you asked if your host will at least consider a 50/50 split?

@Jenny349 @Thanks for your comment 🙂

I do understand this sensitive situation that exists during this period and also aware that the host can lose in this case.
We approached the host in the most beautiful and considerate way that without  a direct demand for full refund only.
We asked to move the dates for our visit and asked how it is possible to compromise so that everyone is happy.

But unfortunately there was no willingness from his side to help or to consider any other option.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eli19852 

I am afraid that Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy no longer applies to bookings made after mid March 2020. The reasoning for this is that, since then, everyone knows that there is a pandemic and that government restrictions might change or other COVID related issues could get in the way of the trip. Therefore, you booked that trip knowing that it might be affected in future.

Yes, you could say it was beyond your control, but it was within your control to book a trip during a pandemic and the host's cancellation policy is available for you to see on the listing before you book. You agree to this as a contract when you book. To then cancel four days before and expect the host to cover that considering it's probably far too late for them to get the nights rebooked isn't really fair. You took the risk. No one forced you to.

Sorry to sound unsympathetic, but from a guest's perspective, I would consider all of these things before booking and not hold my host accountable. You say it's beyond your control, but it is also beyond the host's control. Did you pay the host to provide an insurance policy for you? Erm, no. So why would you expect them to act as your travel insurer?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eli19852 

By the way, I'm not being greedy here. I have this week alone, spent hours and hours on the phone with Airbnb negotiating full refunds for a number of guests who booked without having considered the UK government's travel restrictions. It's not just this week, it's constant at the moment. I did not need to do any of that. According to the cancellation policies, I could have just kept the money.

Four days' notice to cancel a booking that falls over Christmas (usually a high season time for a host) is not enough, even if you ask nicely. I know it's not your fault, but you took the risk and therefore it is your responsibility, not the host's.

In these types of circumstances, I would offer to refund the guests whatever I can IF some/all the nights get rebooked, but with such a last minute cancellation, it's unlikely they would.