Cleaning and Sanitizing "Highlighted"

Moyer0
Level 2
Hershey, PA

Cleaning and Sanitizing "Highlighted"

I took the course. Easily passed it.

I still chose to have the 72 hour buffer on. (I've since learned this will no longer work automatically after 31 July).  I hope they decide to extend that feature. 

It takes me a solid 16 hours to get my place ready for the next guests using proper cleaning and sanitizing. No one should even be in the dwelling for 24 hours after guests leave and new guests arrive.  I don't know how people are doing a 24 hour turnaround. I find it mostly being impossible since they're claiming they're following protocol.

And then when I see all the crap that other listings have in their homes...there is no way those surfaces are being properly cleaned and sanitized. I doubt they were even cleaned pre COVID judging from some pictures I have seen on listings. You're not sanitizing that nasty ass chesterfield. You're not. 

I believe that if you pass the course and you still choose to do the 72 hour shutdown for guest safety you should still get your badge or whatever "Highlight"  to show potential guests that you took the course and passed it. I don't know why it's one or the other. 

19 Replies 19
Karin204
Level 2
Sarnen, Switzerland

@Moyer0 I agree to 100%. I also have choosen the 72h shutdown. I am not able nor willing to have approx. 15 loads of dishwasher to wash everything (!)  like cookware, tableware, storage containers... in my  well equipped kitchen. Nor do I want to throw bleach in my toilet after each guest, as I think that this is not good for the environment (I’m waiting for a reply from the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety from Germany).  As the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment in Germany estimates the risk for having a contamination by touching surfaces as low -  especially after 72h* - I think that in relation to Covid19 the 72h shutdown should be a equivalent to the airbnb cleaning and sanitizing protocol.

* <<There is also currently no reliable evidence of transmission of the virus via contact with contaminated objects or contaminated surfaces, which would have led to subsequent human infections>>.
<<Initial laboratory tests by an American working group for the new type of coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 show that it can remain infectious for up to 3 hours as an aerosol, up to 4 hours on copper surfaces, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on stainless steel and plastic following heavy contamination.>>. 
Note: the 2-3 days infectious time is after a HEAVY contamination.

Source: https://www.bfr.bund.de/en/can_the_new_type_of_coronavirus_be_transmitted_via_food_and_objects_-2440...

Richard1971
Level 2
Harrisonburg, VA

How do you turn the buffer on? @Moyer0 

Moyer0
Level 2
Hershey, PA

@Richard1971  It's under the "availability" tab  in Edit Listing details

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Moyer0,

I signed up and tried following the protocol for a couple of reservations, and then opted out.  It took about 8 hours to clean a 775 s.f./72 s.m. apartment.  We have a very stringent cleaning process already, but the additional step of washing walls caused the paint to fade, and I had to do a touch up.  Also, I am not going to wash my curtains in between guest stays, nor am I providing hand sanitizer and face masks.  Guests can wash their hands with the soap we provide in the bathroom, and I am not willing to do anything that could possibly start an argument about wearing face masks.  I do not have the 72 hour buffer enabled, but instead have chosen the reservation preference for lead time of two days before and after each booking.  Depending upon when the next guest is scheduled to arrive, we let the place air out for at least 24 before entering and starting to clean.

As @Karin204 has stated there are now numerous published reports and guidelines stating that transmission via touching formites is not the primary method that the virus spreads.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Moyer0  I have a lot of crap in my house but, yes, it is possible to clean it all if you have an AMAZING cleaner like I do. I have no idea how she does it in the time, but she cleans each and everything every time, down to every little flower pot on the kitchen window sill.

However, I am not going for the Airbnb badge thingy. Some of the stuff simply isn't feasible. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to take down my 3.5 meter heavy silk curtains (and there are a LOT of windows in this house), take them to the cleaners, put them back up, in between the guests. Besides the time, the cost would be prohibitive. It would end up paying to host rather than the other way round.

Like @Karin204 I have a large, very well stocked kitchen. There's no way I'm going to re-wash all of that stuff. And washing all the walls and ceilings. That alone would take two days in my house!

Julie82
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

I too have found the enhanced cleaning protocol to be unrealistic. I have opted for the 72 hour buffer and am disappointed to see the option doesn't continue beyond July 31, 2020. Does anyone have a suggestion of how we can get Airbnb to extend this? They have suggested we market highlighting this option and to see it gone so quickly is frustrating. 

@Julie82 Unless you are getting multiple bookings within the same hour it would be easy enough to go into your calendar and manually block 3 days before and after each new reservations. You can always update your preparation time to "Block 2 nights before and after each reservation" and then manually block the 3rd day if you need too.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 6.52.26 PM.png

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

Yes, the 72 hour gap recognition needs to be extended past July 31st.  Especially here in the states, where the virus is not being contained and we have so many hot spots.  Cleaning, sanitizing and the addition of time is manageable (and honest).

Just read an article in the NY times that much of the enhanced cleaning is PR spin from large corporations.  Cleaners aren't supplied with sanitizers and what they need to clean.  With some airlines they have no time to clean; referenced 10 mins. to clean a plane!  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Denice0@Moyer0@Julie82@Huma0@Richard1971@Karin204 

I am not going to opt-in to the enhanced cleaning program again, but I do want to clear up a common statement that I think is said because the guidebook is not consistent.  The guidebook does not state that all ceilings should be cleaned.  

The following is an snip from the Common Area Cleaning Checklist section:

Cleaning walls.JPG

This snip from the Outdoor Area Cleaning Checklist, says:

Porch cleaning.JPG

This snip from the Entryway Cleaning Checklist Section, says :

Debra300_0-1595117336632.png

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Thanks for this info. This seems bizarre to me. Surely sanitising indoor areas would be more of a prirority?

My first post-lockdown guest arrived today. He seems lovely. He actually used to work in property management in my area and has also been an Airbnb host and is pretty clued up. He certainly did not expect anything along the lines of this cleaning protocol. He just expected the place to be clean, which it is, so he is very happy.

Perhaps my situation is a bit different from people renting entire units but, seeing as I am sharing with my guest (at minimum the kitchen/diner and entrance to the house), a lot of the stuff in the protocol makes no sense to me and is neither feasible nor sustainable.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

I apologize from the start, but the following is long-winded, because it's a topic that is important to me, and I've spent a good bit of time looking into the details.

With regards to infection control, cleaning and sanitizing are not synonymous.  Cleaning is the process of washing away visible/tactile dirt and grime, and sanitizing is destroying bacteria and germs that cause cause disease.  A person can sanitize unwashed hands, and the germs will be cleaned, but the hands will remain dirty.

I have spoken about how nonsensical it is to recommend cleaning a porch or balcony ceiling when they are typically outdoors with air flowing freely throw them.  This is inconsistent with the recommendation to open windows to let air flow before starting to clean a space.  In my research, I have not found any documented findings that purports droplets and aerosols which have floated to the ceiling in a sneeze cloud or powerful cough to have later dropped from the ceiling and remained in the ambient air like other respiratory expulsions.

Unless the place is located in area with very few pollutants and restricted foot traffic, it is almost unattainable for an open porch or balcony to remain clean beyond the time in which it was being cleaned, because it is one of the more transient areas of a dwelling.  Besides natural air blowing through, for many properties, porches are the primary location for deliveries, solicitations, and entrance/departure by a variety of people.

Currently, the enhanced cleaning protocol is only meant for non-homeshare spaces, because it is more difficult for hosts to adhere to some of the recommendations when there are people from different households living in the same space.  As you've pointed out before, ensuring that homeshare guests are following public health guidelines while away from the property is nearly impossible.

I have had four bookings since reopening at the beginning of this month. I do have IB turned on, but have strict booking and guest requirements to use it (three days lead time, profile photo, verified government issued ID, and recommendation from other hosts).  Those who do not meet the criteria have to send a booking request. In my reservation greeting message, I informed each of them that we follow much of the CDC cleaning recommendations, and that I would wear a facial mask and maintain social distancing when I greet them in person and show them around the apartment.  None of them inquired about cleaning prior to booking, and only a question has been asked just once in response to my message.  The guest thanked me for taking the extra measures, and asked how long would the space be vacant before they arrived.

I have also stated in other CCs that only a small percentage of hosts in my area with comparable offerings have opted-in to the cleaning protocol, and many of their calendars reflect that they are getting bookings.  I think that guests look at the reviews of past guests to speculate if a space will be clean, and not the enhanced cleaning badge.  Also, staying in an Airbnb can provide guests more assurances of cleanliness compared to staying in a hotel or resort, because either the hosts will provide additional supplies for the guests' use, or guests can purchase or bring their own supplies.

Regular people living real lives and traveling from home will/should not expect their Airbnb to be cleaned and sanitized to ICU specifications.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

I wonder how aware most guests are that this cleaning protocol/badge even exists. It was a long time before guests started to become familiar with the idea of Superhosts. Certainly, when I started hosting, even though the Superhost scheme had been in place for some time, hardly any guests had even heard of it.

I have had no enquiries mention the cleaning protocol or mention cleaning, sanitising or any other safety measures at all. Maybe there are guests who are worried about these things, but I'm not getting that impression!

@Huma0 Same here. My calendar has/is filling up quickly for the summer. Not one guest has asked me about cleaning or COVID-anything, whether it be an inquiry or an instant book. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

I think the new or casual Airbnb user doesn't see any difference between a listing with or without a SuperHost distinction.  Aside from price, their main focus is on the listings pictures, amenities, and reviews (and probably location).  Since there isn't a filter for enhanced cleaning it really isn't a powerful marketing tool to attract guests.  Like you, I've not had any guest inquire about cleaning before booking or without me mentioning it first.

After recently reading some other posts, I found out that the 72 booking buffer option is expiring on July 31 in the US, and I believe in the UK it will be August 31.  So, hosts who chose to have 3 days between bookings will need to update their reservation preferences and possibly block out dates on their calendars, because the systematic option is going away.  This was not highlighted when the protocol was rolled out, and hosts found out only after they had booking conflicts.