Cleaning and Sanitizing "Highlighted"

Moyer0
Level 2
Hershey, PA

Cleaning and Sanitizing "Highlighted"

I took the course. Easily passed it.

I still chose to have the 72 hour buffer on. (I've since learned this will no longer work automatically after 31 July).  I hope they decide to extend that feature. 

It takes me a solid 16 hours to get my place ready for the next guests using proper cleaning and sanitizing. No one should even be in the dwelling for 24 hours after guests leave and new guests arrive.  I don't know how people are doing a 24 hour turnaround. I find it mostly being impossible since they're claiming they're following protocol.

And then when I see all the crap that other listings have in their homes...there is no way those surfaces are being properly cleaned and sanitized. I doubt they were even cleaned pre COVID judging from some pictures I have seen on listings. You're not sanitizing that nasty ass chesterfield. You're not. 

I believe that if you pass the course and you still choose to do the 72 hour shutdown for guest safety you should still get your badge or whatever "Highlight"  to show potential guests that you took the course and passed it. I don't know why it's one or the other. 

19 Replies 19
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

What I found was that, in the past, guests were totally unaware of Superhost status regardless of whether they were newbies or experienced users. They had never heard of it, let alone searched for Superhosts. However, I felt like that definitely changed after Airbnb started promoting the scheme more. When they announced this, I thought it was a lot of baloney, but I honestly noticed a difference after a while and ever since. My guests often refer unprompted to me being a Superhost, regardless of how experienced they, and that's certainly not something that happened in the past. These things take time.

I am a bit surprised though that no guests seem to be taking any interest in cleaning/safety measures at this time. I would if I was booking somewhere. Actually, I am going on my first work trip soon. It's just for one night and not far away, but the first thing I asked was for reassurance about social distancing measures.

I have had 2 guests ask about my cleaning protocols so far and one even complimented me for sticking to the 72 hours between guests when they wanted to extend by a day.  So, i do think there is a small awareness probably depending on the country or part of the country.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Tina183,

It's great you're getting that feedback.  Just curious, did you have any other guests that didn't inquire about cleaning?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

I hope everything works out well for you.

I work as a cleaner alone, and some of the new standards are almost impossible to maintain as a solo worker. I clean a 3 storey, 5 bedroom, 3 1/2 bathroom house. This house has a LOT of furniture, artwork, decorative items, books, glassware, cutlery and crockery etc - am I supposed to be cleaning and sanitising ALL of it EVERY TIME? With no list of 'approved' sanitisers and cleaning products, I have to assume that hot soapy water (I use Handy Andy) and Jif will be sufficient to clean, with spray bottles of 100% isopropyl alcohol, diluted bleach, window cleaner and furniture polish in my bucket. As for cleaning the walls, the ceiling height is well over 2m, which technically means I have to have a 'working at heights' certification and a spotter, amongst other things... How many guests lick the walls I wonder? As a cleaner, I do rather urgently require a list of 'approved' cleaning products, or is what I'm using OK? And perhaps someone could tell me how I clean and sanitise leather furniture, because I have NO idea. Any input gratefully accepted. Thanks!