Coronavirus and Extenuating Circumstances - A Host Perspective

Tom-And-Rene0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

Coronavirus and Extenuating Circumstances - A Host Perspective

We have properties in Bali.  Just a quick paraphrase of the many conversations that we are having with guests and AirBnB right now.

From Guest:

Dear Host,
We want to cancel our stay next week because of Coronavirus because we don't want to travel from Australia (70+ cases) / Germany (670 Cases) / France (653 cases) etc. etc.  to Bali (no cases at all).  We await our 100% refund.

Yours truly
Your Guest

From AirBnB:

Dear Host,
Your guest has contacted us and is unable to travel due to the Coronavirus. We have therefore given them a 100% refund under our Extenuating Circumstances Policy. I am sure you as a host are happy with this policy as if a host has to cancel a booking due to Coronavirus, we also give 100% back to the guests.  Either way the host receives no payment at all and so AirBnB is being entirely even handed and fair. 

We realise that it is now far too late for anyone else to book your property, but that is not our concern.  Our only concern is to make sure guests book through us again, and by over-riding the cancellation policy the guests agreed to and refusing to consider any travel insurance the guest may have, making the host give a 100% refund is the best way for us to do that.

We wish you all the best of luck in somehow magically finding a way to keep paying the salaries for your staff (we understand you are a fully serviced villa) and covering your villa bills and running costs and lastly finding a bit of cash for yourselves as we understand your properties your only source of income. If you don't then don't worry that is not any concern of AirBnB.

AirBnB values your business

Yours Truly
A Very Junior Person in AirBnB
123 Replies 123
Larry8
Level 2
Hauula, HI

And then there are those of us c legal STVR's, mandated by policy to have a caretaker nearby. Our caretaker recently refused to host a group from Japan, and probably the same junior Airbnb agent informed we would be penalized if we cancelled. Ultimately, my group had to go elsewhere due to a certain mob hysteria that currently exists regarding this virus. A week's rental lost, great inconvenience to guests, and an ongoing paranoia among people who don't understand anything other than media advice. Interesting times.

Maria188
Level 8
Wells, United Kingdom

Hi @Tom-And-Rene0 Your post made me both laugh and cry as it is so incredibly true.    I am a superhost of 6 years and have never put a foot wrong but after being stung by Airbnb's completely unfair extenuating Circumstances policy last year, I have, in 2020, scaled back my airbnb business to short-notice weekend bookings only for my uk property and none at all for my Spanish one. I am now listed on Homeaway, who let me dictate my own cancellation policy. Any cancellations I get for Covid 19, I can verify myself and decide for myself to give a refund or not. I imagine my descisions will depend on whether a guest has travel insurance and where they are coming from. But the fact remains it will be my decision NOT airbnb's. Interestingly, I am nearly fully booked with Homeaway bookings and have lost very little by ditching airbnb. I am also considerably less stressed as I am back in control of my own business. Just thought I'd reassure you that there is life after airbnb. Good luck with everything! 

I M COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU

Thanks for this. I am now reseraching other options. Very helpful info!

Jean-Louis25
Level 3
Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, France

Thank you for the Tip! I do depend on my little one  Studio rented through Airbnb since I started studying again. I have choose a strict policy because i need  a regular income, the place is good for the price and always full.  That makes a cancellation a direct loss, I don't see why i should bear the cost of the corona virus entirely on my side! 50% would kind of fair, except that in the end as a host i will lose much more to the corona virus as most guests!

I feel the same as you are Jean. I recently cancelled a reservation due to recent updates with regards to Covid19 here in the Philippines. And guess what, the penalty was more than what I should receive had I not cancelled the reservation. Now I have to let other reservations push thru and just hope and pray that all the guests coming are free from the virus. Airbnb should updtae their list under the extenuating circumstances. I have tried calling them and chatting them to no avail

Thanks Maria,
AirBnB is the only OTA I am aware of that gives itself the right to over-ride the agreed cancellation policy (which AirBnB forces to be very weak in any case).  I totally agree hosts should look at other options such as Homeaway and TripAdvisor.  AirBnB's Extenuating Circumstances policy is our number 1 risk.

While we have many issues with AirBnB right now, I think the most laughable is one where guests actually checked-in and stayed at our property - but AirBnB still gave the guests a 100% refund when the guests made a Coronavirus claim.  2 weeks we have been fighting this.  AirBnB has offered us USD 200 compensation, whereas the nightly rate for our property is USD 650, and the guests were booked to stay for 3 nights.

Hosts do need to clearly understand that hosting on AirBnB comes with considerable risks, most of them due entirely to AirBnB.  See my other posts on AirBnB  not making payments after guests have stayed. Do not trust this company.

It is patently unfair that hosts should suffer 100% fo the consequences of the coronavirus.  airbnb has proved itself no friend to hosts.     it should be a %50 refund not 100%. I am so pissed off with the unfairness -  i depend on my income to live . I support my 3 children with the income and now airbnb has just overridden my cancellation policy without consulting me, without me even having a voice in the decision. its ridiculous. why should hosts pay for the so called act of god?   

I completely agree.  We have staff to pay who rely on this income to support their families.  With the new 'Extenuating Circumstances Policy' just released, it seems we will get no income whatsoever for the month of 14th Mar- 14th Apr.  So we will have to 'lay off' staff as a consequence to this decision.

I am appalled that they can do this to their valued hosts.  Come on Airbnb, when are you going to come on to our side?  When are you going to listen to our point of view on this?

If we have a 'Strict Cancellation Policy' in place, it seems to be a joke if it is negated in this way.

50% is fair.  This way we can all continue to pay our bills and keep our staff and their livelihoods.

Great post and recommendations.  Thank you!  Going to check Homeaway.  I had a guest tell me she didn't feel like "making the drive" and canceled the day of.  Airbnb allowed it because 1 day of her booking was during the Coronavirus hysteria.

It should be our decision. 

I 100% agree!!  I get some garbage email stating they are hosts also and basically understand our pain!? YOU HAVE A PAY CHECK COMING IN. I just turned off auto booking. Sick of getting the short end of the stick w/Airbnb. Some websites offer vacation protect/cancelation INSURANCE and Airbnb likes to get in to everyone's pocket book anyways (charge third party Insurance Company percentage for advertising on their website) have Airbnb add it automatically and they cover this type of garbage themselves or give the hosts the option TO REQUIRE THE PROTECTION ON EVERY BOOKING!! Thank goodness for other websites helping their HOSTS! I'VE TURNED OFF INSTANT BOOK with AIRBNB. Id prefer business from other websites.
Regards,
David and Cathrine
PS: I agree with taking their **bleep** temperatures when they arrive so we don't get ourselves or other guests sick. Some guests have gotten their own Insurance.

PSS:  Works both ways with Instant book off.  Other websites get priority and this is last on list!

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Tom-And-Rene0  The no cases in Bali is highly unlikely.  More likely no testing going on in Indonesia generally.  Ditto India.  But yes, difficult times ahead and exceedingly worrisome for remote hosts with mortgages and other outgoings to cover.

Exactly our thoughts to @Sharon1014 @Tom-And-Rene0 @Maria188 @Larry8 

Some other countries have also not disclosed any cases where the standards of living are very poor.

I'd like to know what airlines have all traveled through Northern Italy and from what country of origin amongst other details.

I'd be fuming if I lived in Northern Italy.

The only known cases in New Zealand are understood to be an Iranian family so are hardly likely to be Italians.

One has to question why the stamping of Passports is not mandatory anymore because in times like this with Infectious diseases it's vital that information is easily accessible to those involved at the coal face, including with Passport ID's to those in the Medical Profession.

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

And in other news today, the futures markets opened an hour ago, oil fell off a cliff, dropping to $30/brl USD, currently struggling to keep it's head up @ $33/brl and the indexes also gapped down. 

WTI oil 09.03.2020.JPG

And locally, I just went to do an online shop for delivery Wednesday and guess what....  they are being inundated with home delivery orders, no delivery times available until Friday next week and toilet paper is limited to one pack per delivery.