Covid cancellation

Nicole2592
Level 3
Loxahatchee, FL

Covid cancellation

Hi all! This is my first time someone has canceled since we switch our policy to strict. Our guests arriving in 3 days just canceled because he tested positive for Covid and is asking for a full refund. From the rules on Airbnbs page explaining this 

“However, if you're sick
due to COVID-19. this is covered under our standard
Extenuating Circumstances Policy.” 

I am assuming he does qualify for a full refund, which puts us out of a booking for a weekend and having to pay the host service fee out of pocket, which I know isn’t a lot but every bit counts during slow season. 

Should I go ahead and give a full refund? Or should he need to contact airbnb and show proof that they tested positive? I feel like anyone could use that as an excuse right now just to get a full refund with strict cancellation policies. Thanks in advance! 

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nicole2592 Do NOT give a refund. Refer the guest to Airbnb and, if they can prove they have Covid, they will get a full refund. There will be no service fee to pay for you.

If you refund there is a distinct possibility that you will be subject to a host cancellation fee and get your listing blocked for the weekend.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Nicole2592 

Do as @Mike-And-Jane0 says in this case. For future reference, if a guest cancels and you choose to refund them you will never have to pay "the host service fee out of pocket." I'm not sure where that assumption comes from . . ?