Final straw! ECP extended to June - NO support from $250 million fund!

Andrew1928
Level 5
Te Anau, New Zealand

Final straw! ECP extended to June - NO support from $250 million fund!

I got an email saying 3 of my June reservations (I only have 2) will fall under the extenuating circumstances policy. Full refund to guests and NO support for hosts from $250 million fund!

I called Airbnb to discuss and a case manager just sent me the link to the $250 million fund info which does not even apply to June reservations!

Anyone else get this email?

68 Replies 68
Adriano78
Level 10
Seville, Spain

@Andrew1928  hi, I got the email this morning, I am in Spain. Very upset with this Airbnb mascarade.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Unfortunatelly... I believe it is not the final straw yet  🙂
I think there is more to come! There is July, August, maybe September... and so on

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Andrew1928 @Adriano78

Yes, the emails have gone out worldwide. Just in case anyone hasn't received there yet, here's the wording below..

Hi XXXX 

The coronavirus continues to disrupt the travel industry, and millions of Airbnb hosts and guests are on lock-down.

We’ve been working with hosts like you to shape our ongoing response to the pandemic through over a hundred listening sessions in more than 30 countries. One thing we’ve heard is that you want advanced notice and options to engage guests directly when things change.

Here’s what you need to know.

Guests may need to cancel June reservations due to COVID-19

If travel continues to be disrupted, the Extenuating Circumstances policy may cover your June reservations that were booked before March 15th.

What that would mean for you

* If a guest’s travel plans are impacted by COVID-19, they will have the option to reschedule

* If they need to cancel, they will receive a full refund or travel credit, and you won’t receive a payout

* These reservations will not be eligible for any payment under our $250M USD support initiative, since the program only covers check-in dates through May 31st

Here’s what you can do

* Keep the dialogue going with guests. Some guests may need extra assurance right now—reach out to see if they have any concerns that you can address.

* Cancel penalty-free by April 30th.

Whether you’re unable to host or you want to open your calendar for longer term stays, you can now cancel any upcoming reservations this year booked before March 15th. You won’t pay a fee, have your calendar blocked, or have your Superhost status affected.

@Susan17 

Thank You. That's the only way to adress the issue - putting the text of the email online.

Absolutely, @Ute42. We should all be posting everything up here - notifications and communications from Airbnb, screenshots of what we're seeing vs what guests are seeing, templates being sent hosts and guests (identifying details redacted, of course) anomalies, discrepancies etc.

Only then, might people start seeing the bigger picture. 

Airbnb is well aware of what they are doing here -- they are just hedging their bets.  They are keeping the money from us illegally and knowingly.  They are betting that only a fraction of Hosts will actually file for arbitration.  I think they will likely settle with those Hosts.  In the end they figure the math will work out.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

V helpful, @Susan17, as I hadn't received this (and have reservations for a personal stay in June). Thanks. 

You're welcome, @Gordon0!

So guests are seeing nothing, then, @Gordon0 . That is very good to know. Thank you.

Derek157
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

I haven't received it either.  Like Gordon I too have reservations in the US for June and have been hanging on waiting for the travel situation to the US from UK to clarify. Looks very much as thought I will have to cancel those bookings and get a refund but unfortunately the Hosts in the US, who have been helpful, won't get a penny. This, on top of losing my SH status due to being unable to recover 0.1 of my rating because of cancelled bookings, means  that the time when I look elsewhere for another booking site is getting nearer.  All we get as Hosts from AirBnB is b*llsh*t instead of support.  Anybody got any suggestions for an alternative?

Jen5
Level 7
Chandler, AZ

What's frustrating is that hosts only have until April 30th to cancel without penalty but if the EC policy is extended, guests can still cancel at the last minute. It really puts hosts in a bad position to have to be the ones to cancel or else risk a late cancellation. If Airbnb is going to keep extending their policy, they need to put limits in place as to how late guests can cancel.

That is a trick.  If you do file for arbitration you would not be able to include reservations YOU cancelled.   Do not cancel.
Put your listings up on other platforms, keep the calendar open on those platforms (do not sync with Airbnb calendar).  I got bookings by doing this for April and May -- even though my Airbnb calendar was all blocked up with reservations that were ultimately going to cancel.
Look at it this way, if you are a traveller, and you are looking at inventory (listings) on different platforms.  At this point Airbnb has much less inventory for May and June than other platforms (because everyone's calendars are filled with reservations that are going to cancel).  Those travellers will be looking at the other platforms for places because there are more choices.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Jen5, they may be relying on information from what's been put out by airlines, closed borders and primary school announcements relating to Covid19 that's thrust in our faces by the kiddies in the room.

The Professor who has modelled our Covid19 statistics is a Climate change activist who spent a year NOT flying and thinks we should all do as he's done...

Look him up and see for yourself, Professor Shaun HENDY #NOFLYING

Brace yourself for a bumpy time with these unelected people sitting in the background dishing out orders...

Dianne79
Level 2
Canton, GA

I guess Airbnb didn't approve my first reply as it was deleted so here goes again.  Yes, I also received this unbelievable email. Very upset to say the least. We are not even in May yet and now all of our June guests can cancel with a full refund. WE should be given the choice to offer them a credit or a refund!

Our condos have private beaches and pools that are open now and practicing social distancing quite well so far. A guest can decide if they are comfortable with travelling at this time. We should not be forced to refund their payment. We have a strict cancellation policy plus our own agreement to sign. We request all guests to purchase travel insurance. Apparently, signed contracts mean nothing.

The $250 million fund is a joke. We haven’t received a single penny. Why don’t you post who received the grant money, probably no one.  If we were able to, I would cancel all reservations on this platform and delete our listings. Thumbs down to you Airbnb for again showing NO support for your loyal super hosts.  Can someone suggest other platforms to try besides the big V?