Host changing check-in / check-out agreed upon terms

Cindy916
Level 1
Mohrsville, PA

Host changing check-in / check-out agreed upon terms

Three weeks ago, we reserved an entire home, and the host is now changing the terms of the check-in and check-out times a week before our stay, stating that extra time is needed to clean the home.  There is already a 4 hour window between the check-out and check-in times for cleaning.  They are stating that an additional 2 hours is needed to clean the home..... so 6 hours of cleaning time?  Plus, they are requesting that we check out an hour earlier.  Can they change the agreements of the terms?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cindy916 Technically they cant change the terms but perhaps in the current situation it may make sense to allow them to.

As a matter of interest have they changed the times on their listing or are they intentionally getting bookings and then changing the terms?

We have a 3 bed apartment and 6 hours is about right to properly clean it.

@Cindy916  Personally, I'd rather delay my check-in by 2 hours than stay in an inadequately cleaned property. 6 hours sounds like a reasonable amount of time, especially if the host is advertising the enhanced Covid-19 cleaning protocol.

Before you pursue any kind of action on this, you should think carefully about what you want as your end result. Do you ultimately want to get out of the booking and stay somewhere else? Are you looking for some kind of compensation (hint: don't bother)? Or would you just like to be able to drop your bags for convenience while the home is being prepared?

Diana1871
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I also have just received a long message

No tea or coffee or biscuits replacing with hand sanitiser and cleaning tissues

Check in an hour later check out two hours earlier

website does not reflect this

leabing at 9am means getting up at 7 in order to carry out all their instructions with bedding rubbish etcetera 

if I could cancel I would! 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Cindy916 @Diana1871 

It sounds like these changes are related to the COVID-19 protocols. The host should have said so if that’s the case though.

We reserve a day before and after bookings for intensive cleaning and we might have to increase that to two days soon, depending on how the disease problem escalates.

You should be entitled to a cancellation due to the change in terms. You might find someone at CS who will expedite that for you, or perhaps the host would agree to it if you ask.