Hosts Livelihood VS Guests Vacation! COVID 19 IMPACT ON HOSTS

Shey5
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Hosts Livelihood VS Guests Vacation! COVID 19 IMPACT ON HOSTS

I'm sure ALL hosts are feeling the impact of the recent cancellations due to the corona virus. I was extremely shocked to see Airbnb has taken the liberty to change cancelation policies and giving every guest a full refund! I've had 4 cancelations from guests coming from other U.S. states that were refunded fully today alone!! That's a bunch of BS!! Airbnb doesn't give a **bleep** about it's hosts who have rents and bills to pay!! They got backlash from guests and decided to **bleep** the hosts so they look better in the public eye!! Hey Airbnb you wouldn't exist without us!!!! How is it fair that we have to carry this heavy financial burden that you decided to suddenly throw on us?! As hosts we need to come together and hold Airbnb responsible for this!! They made a detrimental change to our cancelation policy that has the ability to bankrupt us, kill our credit and leave us in an insane amount of debt!!! All this without any sort of warning and to benefit their own company!! A company that would NOT EXIST WITHOUT US!!!! I say let's unlist everything and move it over to another platform!! Any responses, feedback and ideas is greatly appreciated. We as hosts have to come together to get through this mess and hold Airbnb responsible!!! Class action lawsuit is a good starting point. 

47 Replies 47
Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

The more I read the more angry I get.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/airbnb-is-listening-to-investment-pitches-despite-large-cash.html

Airbnb are sitting on 3 billion in cash and 1 billion in credit.

And yet even with all this money they screwed us over.

I spoke with VRBO/Homeaway today and they confirmed that yes they have given an advisory regarding refunds credits but ultimately it is the hosts decision and they are not going to force you to do anything.  They also said that insurance companies are not paying out for guests who just don't feel up to traveling.  You have to be legitimately sick from the virus for that.  None of my guests that Airbnb paid refunds to were sick.

VRBO also plan on ramping up the insurance side in the near future so that guests are made more aware of the implications of declining insurance.

We have a voice here.  Vote with your feet and move to another platform.

Sonal29
Level 1
McLean, VA

They took $9,000 of our rentals, hoping they won’t do any more. How will I pay my mortgage? This is not done.