How do I cancel a reservation from a US traveler coming to Canada without being penalized?

Bonnie335
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

How do I cancel a reservation from a US traveler coming to Canada without being penalized?

Yesterday, I had someone from the US book a week long stay for September at my Airbnb in Canada. They have mentioned they live in Oregon and want to have a trip as a family. The Canada US border is shut for non essential travel and this trip would not be considered essential by any means. The borer is not opening up any time soon either.

I have reached out twice to this guest explaining how the border is shut and also the mandatory two week quarantine required if they do enter Canada. No answer as of yet. How do I go about cancelling their reservation without getting dinged? I would like to open up the dates for other Canadian travelers as the booking calendar is filling up fast.

15 Replies 15

@Susan737   I agree with @Sarah977  here.

If you can set your home up in such a way that a sick or asymptomatically contagious person would present no danger to your health, then your precautions should be sufficient. But if you're an in-home host, relying on guests just saying they're not sick is no strategy at all.