If a holiday maker contracts Covid-19 whilst staying in your property...

Jackie121
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

If a holiday maker contracts Covid-19 whilst staying in your property...

Hi there, 
I feel sure this has been covered before but apologies, I can't find any threads on this.
I'm just getting all my documents up to date viz a viz Covid, prior to opening up to rentals again - wahey! - and just wondered whether there is a protocol regarding (god forbid) somebody contracting covid-19 whilst staying in your property. Obviously, they'd need to self-isolate and hopefully that's where the illness stops with them. If their condition did worsen, then they would go down the hospital route. But what if they were self-isolating in your property and the two weeks overlapped with your next guests? Do you simply leave the original guests in your property for as long as they need to stay, cancelling future bookings (and in that case, do you charge the original guests for the extra days???) or does their insurance somehow have to get them out? 
Any thoughts gratefully received!
Thanks
Jackie 

10 Replies 10
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Katie @Liv @Nick @Quincy @Stephanie 

could either of you give an official answer?

thanks 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jackie121,

I cannot remember where I read it, but if you or your guest notifies Airbnb that they need to self-isolate or have tested positive for coronavirus, Airbnb will work with the host and guest regarding reservation changes (extensions or early departures).  They will also cancel upcoming reservations, and block the listing calendar until the host has provided proof that the place has been cleaned according to protocol.

@Yadira22 

@Yadira22  and how would you prove it?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I imagine the guest would prove it via a positive medical diagnosis and the host would need to prove the space is "clean" by whatever policy ABB has that day 😉

Jackie121
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

😁Thanks Yadira!

Jackie121
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

Many thanks for that! Sounds a nightmare, let’s just hope it never happens... 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone, 

Thanks @Yadira22 for the tag, and @Debra300 is correct. 

There's more info on how this will work in this article, but if this were to happen then the best thing to do would be to get in touch with CS so that they can guide you through it.

It's also worth noting that as @Debra300 says, it will mean that your calendar is blocked for a period of time until the issue is resolved (obviously this depends on the exact circumstances of the situation). 

I hope this helps to clarify what the basic procedure is 😊

The official instructions noted here all but guarantee that hosts will not report to Airbnb that they or their guests have contracted Covid-19. 

"Yes, Airbnb, please help me forfeit another month or two of income when I need it most, because my weekend guest got sick. Thanks."

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anonymous,

I would say that the likelihood of type of self-reporting would be on par with telling Airbnb your place was the site of a meth house.

Jackie121
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for this! This is exactly what I needed. I can't believe I couldn't find it yesterday, thought I'd looked absolutely everywhere... thanks again!