July Superhost status not lost with cancellations?

Gregory338
Level 1
Calistoga, CA

July Superhost status not lost with cancellations?

Hi everyone,

We have had superhost status since October last year.  We've had every guest cancel through June, which is just fine by us.

We really don't want guests for awhile anyway, and we are not dependent on the income.

After the March 14th EC bookings deadline, we received, and accepted a couple of reservations for early July, which I am now regretting.

We've now blocked off our calendar for July and August, and I'm considering cancelling the two July bookings, for safety reasons.

From what I've read, ABB will still charge us the $50 cancellation fee, which is fine, but it's losing the superhost status that is my biggest concern.

Then I found this article:

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/answers-for-superhosts-about-the-july-superhost-ass...

It seems to me that even if I have over 1% cancellation rate for the period, that I won't lose superhost status this quarter - am I reading that correctly?

If that is truly the case, then I would definitely cancel the July bookings, and rest easy for another few months.

BTW - what does it take to regain superhost status once you've lost it - just satisfy the requirements again, like starting from scratch?

Thanks for your input!

Greg

1 Reply 1
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Hi David, I'm not sure about the status of cancellations by hosts at this moment but hope my responding will bump your post up enough for wiser folks to chime in. I'd recommend contacting your potential guests & asking them to cancel as ABB has been pretty generous about letting guests cancel over covid concerns. If they are worried about getting charged by ABB for booking fees a discount on future stays might sweeten the deal? (We aren't taking bookings either, I can't imagine a desirable guest wanting to come & stay at this moment in time!) Stay well, Sally