Listing suggestion

Listing suggestion

I suggest Airbnb offer Hosts an extra section of the listing to tell guests what precautions are being taken to protect them from the outbreak. The "Home" section offers laughably few characters to allow adding this information. I'm thinking cleaning and sanitizing procedures, social-distancing check-ins, self check ins, etc. Also, local ordinances, neighborhood attitudes and etiquette, and there's probably a lot more. Look forward to what you all think about this, and how to get Airbnb to add it quickly. Cheers!

9 Replies 9
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

It sounds sensible so it's a long shot! I'm responding to see if that helps get you views but just because it's a very good idea doesn't mean it will happen (and it is, in my opinion both obviously needed and simple to do)

Thanks for the reply, Sally! I take it AirBnb developers aren't very responsive? And that the logic of any given request is inversely proportional to their enthusiasm about it?

If you know of any other places to offer them feedback, please feel welcomed to let me know. Again, happy hosting and stay safe!

Cheers/Cheryl

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Cheryl136 I agree. Adding a 'cleaning' section where hosts can outline what the cleaning protocol is would probably be helpful going forward, in addition to the new 'opt in' program that airbnb has in the works.  This would allow guests to get a fuller sense of procedures.

@Lizzie @Stephanie 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great idea @Cheryl136. (Thanks @Mark116 for mentioning us here) 

How do you think this section could work, would it be a free text section (like the description) or would you select certain categories to have some continuity across listings?  Would it also be optional? 

Would love to hear more thoughts you have on this. 

Thank you. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Lizzie  I think both.  It could have a list like the amenities section that might list things like WHO/CDC approved cleaning agents, cleaners wear masks/gloves, no contact check-in, and then a space for a text explanation that would include what the host does and what if any expectations there are for guests.  I'm not sure how this would mesh with the existing plans, whether it would be redundant or not, and if so, then possibly you would only need a place for a couple of paragraphs as the listing part would be taken care of by the plan already in the works.  Hopefully this makes sense.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Cheryl136 @Mark116 @Sally221,

Where do you think this proposed cleaning information section should be located on the listing page?  I think we all have had experiences with guests that don't click the "Read more" link to expand the space description and details, nor scroll to the bottom of the page and read the House Rules.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Debra300   I'd put it 2 places.  In the drop down menu of filters so a guest can first filer by whatever the cleaning items would be, which would be a list like amenities.  Then I would add a section on cleaning/sanitization where the rest of the text stuff, 'getting around' and 'things to know' sections are. 

People may not read it or care, but it is there for those who are interested and for hosts who create a higher than average standard it can be a selling point.

Airbnb could also create something visual like a badge that would appear on listings that buy into whatever their cleaning protocol will be. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lizzie  Definitely both, as @Mark116 said. There are so many different hosting situations, from ones where the host and guest would never need to come into contact with each other, to ones where there would be some common areas, but the host and guest would still not need to be using it at the same time, like an entrance hallway, to ones where host and guest might be sharing a bathroom and/or kitchen, that I think it's crucial for the hosts to have a place to create some self-written clarification.

I'd like to see that section near the top of the listing info. Perhaps for now, Airbnb could ditch the "10 recent guests said this home was sparkling clean" section, which most hosts, I think, couldn't care less about and wouldn't mind seeing eliminated altogether, with the COVID info.

@Cheryl136  Thanks for bringing this topic up. 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

As a born pessimist/worrywart it's always nice to be proved wrong-Lizzie did respond & just maybe these excellent ideas will be implemented!