Long term guest canceled due to covid-19 NEED ADVICE

Kelly1227
Level 2
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Long term guest canceled due to covid-19 NEED ADVICE

Hi! I need advice!

I have a guest that booked my Airbnb June 21st-August 29th and they just called me to cancel their reservation due to Covid-19 canceling their research trip and therefore asking if I could do free cancelation. Due to it being a long term stay the cancelation policies says, "More than 48 hours after booking, guests can cancel before check-in and get a full refund, minus the first 30 days and the service fee."

Also, I tried to call Airbnb but it's impossible since it is due to Covid-19 does Airbnb help out but since it's passed June 15th they don't?

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Send a message to the guest with sympathy about how their plans have changed and that they no longer need to stay at your place.  Then refer them to Air BNB to continue with the cancellation process stating that they are in charge of that process.  If you can expect other bookings, you would want to incentivise the guest to cancel as soon as possible.  If not, just ride it out.  If you want them to cancel ASAP, the let them know you will refund some of the remainder of their booking dependent on if you are able to rebook.

She spoke with Airbnb and Airbnb referred them to me to see if I would waive the cancelation fee. I understand that her plans got canceled, but I feel like it's unfair to me to not get a cancelation fee because she has 2 months blocked off on my calendar. What are your thoughts, is it fair that I get the cancellation fee?   

My thoughts is that is completely unfair. I find myself in a similar situation.

I totally agree. I am outraged. I think we need to fight for what's legally ours. 

I don't see how Airbnb could be possibly have any legal right to override/interfere a strict policy a confirmed contract between hosts and guests. 

As you say, as hosts with Strict Cancellation, we have been left by AIrbnb in the worst possible situation: we are the most vulnerable side here, loosing our lifeline, the income we depend on.

It's completely unacceptable from a legal and ethic point of view. 
We need to get Airbnb to fix this.

Garry43
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Is your County already allowing reservations? It has not been confirmed that Phase Two will begin in June. But it is understood that rentals will still be banned.(Presumably,if guests think they could face the same fine and jail sentence as Hosts,they will not take the risk).

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kelly1227  I agree that if there is no other reason such as travel restrictions as @Garry43  posted, you should not be penalized for their change of plans.  Do you have any problems with my previous suggestion you agree to refund if able to rebook?

@Kelly1227 

As a host, there is little (nothing really) you can do to *help* the guest with cancellations. It is the guest's responsibility to contact Airbnb customer service and get the cancellation processed. 

As of now, you have not been paid. Airbnb is the one holding on to the guests payment so technically YOU have nothing to refund. No matter what Airbnb says...... it's clear (from the covid-19 EC debacle that the entire world witnessed) that Airbnb do not need host permission to refund the guest if that is what Airbnb really really wants to do. 

AFTER you do actually receive a payout from Airbnb for the cancelled booking...... then you are free to give some or all of the money you received back to the guest. You should do whatever you think is right and fair with your money :-)) 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Kelly1227 

Best to take the matter into your own hands. 

Telling the guest to contact airbnb still means that it bounces all the way back to you to make a decision. You might find an airbnb rep phoning you pressurizing you to do ''the right thing ™''

Unless it falls into some EC or covid policy, it's you that decides not airbnb.

If the guest cancels ,and it's easy as pie to hit the cancel button as a guest, under the long term cancellation policy, you are due to receive the first payment ( of thirty days) and airbnb scoop the service fee as ever.

You can tell the guest ; 1 - too bad, my regrets but that's what you agreed to at booking and you can't change the goalposts  2 - you can give a refund of your portion or part thereof 3 - you might say,  no refund but if someone else books during the first 30 days of the cancelled trip you would refund in the future pro-rata 4 - too bad, but how about a discount in future?. Make a decision, now.

I'd refer the guest to contact airbnb if they are inclined to discuss the service fee portion.