[New] Community Center Social Online Meetup: May 29th

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[New] Community Center Social Online Meetup: May 29th

Food.jpg

Hello everyone,

Our pet themed  meetup last Friday was really fun, thanks to those who could make it, I feel we all learnt a lot about animals we've seen in our local area! Once again it is fantastic to see the conversation carrying on in the CC and all the wonderful photos. I know many of you couldn't make it and so we will host another pet themed meetup in the upcoming weeks. 🙂

This week, we are back an APAC friendly timezone. Our next social meetup will be:

Friday May 29th, 12PM (UK time)*

*Timezones:

Friday May 29th, 7AM (New York / Toronto)

Friday May 29th, 1PM (Spain)

Friday May 29th, 8PM (Seoul)

Friday May 29th, 9PM (Sydney)

Friday May 29th, 11PM (Auckland)

If you would like to join, please register before the start time using this specific link (this link changes each week so if you have registered before, you will need to do it again - sorry): https://airbnb.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMkf-CprTIpHNAs5n8LfcyxAyEE76t6FuGN

Not sure how to use Zoom? Check out this CC guide

New to CC socials: For anyone new to the socials, it's a weekly online meetup where CC members come together to connect with each other and have a bit of positivity along the way. It's not specifically Airbnb focused and anyone new is very very welcome.  

Theme: we all liked the sound of a food theme when we discussed this in our last meetup. Although I am quite happy to talk about it for hours, it might be good for us to narrow it down a little. Perhaps one week we could all try cooking something together??

A couple of ideas I had for this week:  a) Share what our traditional food is from our local area b) any food discoveries during lockdown c) favourite recipes. 

If you have any ideas relating to food which you think would be interesting and enjoyable for the group, please do share below and/or select one of a, b or c. 🙂 

Looking forward to hearing from you. I hope you can make it. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

@Cathie19@Lawrene0@Robin4@Melodie-And-John0@Clara116@Christine615@Jessica-and-Henry0@Ann72@Kimberly29@Roberta2@Stephanie, @Quincy, @Gordon0, @Sandra126@Helen3@Helen350@Yvonne609 , @Manasui0@Kemi9,  @Marissa107@Wave-Autumn-Vine0,  @Ryan350@Suzanne302@Ria16,  @Ozge5@Rochelle12@Jason1350@Ann489@Yadira22@Alexandra316

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

45 Replies 45

@Christine615was that an experience also? That looks good! I'm sorry that I missed out on that. 

Hi @Alexandra316 

No - not an experience. I bought the egg coddlers at an estate sale and we were all talking about having last week's Zoom meeting be us sharing favorite recipes or food items. One person Zoomed in from her favorite market while walking around. I've been experimenting making poached eggs in the porcelain cups with basil, ham and cheese. So those are pictures of the results. I was eating something similar during the meet-up 🙂

@Christine615  I had just decided last week that the thing my life was lacking was egg cups.  I'm going to hunt some down - those eggs look delicious!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Amazing photos @Jessica-and-Henry0 and @Alexandra316

It was lovely to see everyone today, it was such an interesting conversation and such a great way to end the week. Thanks Alexandra, Jessica, @Cathie19@Clara116@Ann72@Roberta2@Lawrene0@Quincy@Christine615@Kimberly29

Food week.png

(Sorry we didn't get you in the photo Ann and Kimberly) 

A special thank you to Ann for calling in live, on location at the local store, and for giving us a quick look at the local food treats on the shelves! I was very glad to see you basically had the store to yourself, it makes a huge difference at the moment. I hope you got everything that you needed and your saw the ducks in the car park on your way out. 🙂

It was amazing to hear all your food interests and local cuisines. I would love to see some photos or more details if you are able to share them here–and we can carry on the conversation. 

For me, apple cakes fill me with memories from my childhood coming from a place where the apple is widely celebrated, mainly in the form of cider! I haven't made an apple cake for ages, so when I do I will make sure I share it here–they are very nice if you are looking for something to bake. It was a tradition in my household to eat apple cakes in October when all the cider apples were ripe (although you really don't want to use cider apples for the cake!)

Who's next? 

We also talked about arranging a cook-a-long (if that is what they are called), where we all agree to cook something and get the ingredients and then are walked through the cooking together on the meetup. Kimberly, you mentioned you would be happy to be our host for this–which would be amazing. I think we may need to start with something relatively easy and something that won't take 5 hours to cook! haha

Any ideas?

Who would be keen on cooking? 

Thank you all again and to those who were able to make it, we missed you and hope you can make another one soon. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@LizzieI'd totally be down for that! Sounds like fun. 

Hi gang! I really enjoyed chatting with everyone last Friday.  As for an easy cooking demo, would you prefer a simple dinner item like something listed below?

Curry Air fried Chicken (not spicy)

Caribbean Jerk Chicken (spicy)

Above chicken dishes can be (wings, thighs, or whatever part of the bird you like)? If you want to do one of those, you would need to soak chicken in vinegar water then season the chicken and store overnight. I would post the recipe in advance.  We would just cook it on the day of.  You can air fry, pan fry or bake it.

Special ingredients are noted next to dish

Down Home Shrimp & Grits: raw shrimp with shells (needed to make stock), grits (like stirred polenta) hard white cheese (like Kerrygold Dubliner) or parmigiana type cheese, thick cut bacon or Chipotle flavored vegan sausage (Fieldroast), smoked paprika, sun dried tomatoes,

Chinese Orange Chicken: fresh oranges, ginger, dried red hot pepper like Thai bird chili, all-purpose flour, cane sugar, sesame seeds (optional)

Aloo Matar Gobi (Indian Cauliflower, Potatoes, and Green Peas): Curry Powder, coriander seeds, veggie or chicken bouillon cube, fresh parsley,

Chana Masala (Coconut Curried Chickpeas): Canned coconut milk, (Cane sugar or dried Medjool dates)

Dal (Red Lentil Curry)

Easy Quick Breads (both may need all-purpose flour, corn meal, baking powder, butter, ghee and or coconut oil), cane sugar, milk, eggs, pure vanilla extract, pink sea salt:

Southern American (USA) Drop Biscuits (regular or with chocolate chips)

Down Home Cornbread (regular or with chocolate chips and blueberries)

Most of the dinner items most will need: Curry Powder, Tomatoes (fresh or diced), fresh ginger, fresh garlic, fresh yellow onion, jalapeno or your favorite hot pepper, pink sea salt, black pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, ground cumin, ground, coriander, and smoked paprika, bouillon cube (vegetable bouillon) (liquid aminos or soy sauce), and fish sauce.

The aforementioned ground and granulated spices and liquid aminos or soy sauce will also be needed for the air fried curry or jerk chicken. The jerk chicken would also need Jerk seasoning (Walkerswood brand preferred), dark brown sugar, and white vinegar to clean and soak the chicken.

Let me know if anything sounds interesting.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Lizzie It was great to see all of you - when I opened the meeting in the house it was so nice to hear all your voices there, as if you were really visiting...

@Jessica-and-Henry0 - right after I signed off I found a whole shelf of Maine-made kimchi, daichi, and all manner of lacto-fermented vegetables!

Looking forward to Cooking With Kimberly - that should be a show on Netflix!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It was so nice seeing you all again! @Cathie19@Clara116@Ann72@Roberta2@Lawrene0@Quincy@Christine615@Kimberly29@Jessica-and-Henry0 @Alexandra316

@Jessica-and-Henry0, I'll be at our local Korean supermarket tomorrow for some weekly grocery shopping. I will check if they have the Bibigo soup :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy , when I described your boerenkool stamppot -- with the puddle of gravy -- to Harry, his eyes lit up. 

He is more than willing to try it that way. Sigh. : )

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ha, this is great to hear! I hope you can find some Bistro gravy! 😉 @Lawrene0 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Lizzie @Quincy  and all the other rockstar hosts! So enjoyed our morning gathering and YES I'm in for some cook along..."Kooking with  Kimberly!"  Just give advance notice on what's needed with the current state of shopping for some of us. Looking forward 😃

@Quincy @Christine615 and everybody 

If you do find and get to try any of the Korean soup pouches..... let me know how you liked them :-)) 

Absolutely.  Both my girls love Korean dishes. I'll start my hunt. There's a great specialty market downtown. Can't wait!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Christine615, what a great item to pick up from an estate sale. I used to work in a shop that sold fine china, including Royal Worcester egg coddlers exactly the same as the ones you have .

Do you have any other Royal Worcester items?

We used to have lots of good estate sales here and lovely antique shops however not so many people appreciate them here these days.

Let's hope with the current world situation people go back to quality made items over and above plastic & disposable items.

I don't. I know my mother does. I put the photos on Facebook and it started a huge response. One of my friends was about to order some online when a friend gave her four as a gift. A lot of people inherited them and didn't know what they were 🙂

I'm with you. I'm noticing a lot of Millennials and GenZ's don't want our "old stuff" but I'm training my girls to value quality over temporary. Both have also acquired a taste for older houses and apartments over the newer bland cracker boxes developers are building. Nothing says "home" like a bit of moulding and classic woodwork 🙂