Possible COVID affected guest

Marc-André7
Level 2
Lac-Supérieur, Canada

Possible COVID affected guest

I'm going out of my mind here because of my guest told me on departure day that one of her friend, who she had close contact, tested positive to COVID. By safety precaution, I decided to cancel all reservations for the following 72h and cleaned thoroughly the cabin where she stayed following Airbnb cleaning protocol and the Provincial hotel industry protocol. Unfortunately, my canceling due to the COVID issue triggered a few protocols from Airbnb. First, they inform me that my account would be blocked since I may have the COVID and I have to get tested and send them proof of negative result before I resume ''travel'' (I'm a host). The second email stated that the listing where I canceled the reservation (not the cabin affected but another cabin on my property) was now blocked from new reservation and all current reservations cancel for the next 30 days or until I have the unit professionally cleaned and proof sent to them. the third email stated the add would be blocked for 7 days and then I have to confirm that I have cleaned the unit following Airbnb protocol before they can unblock. Fouth and last email, the unit will be blocked for 7 days but I still require the unit to be professionally cleaned otherwise the unit will stay blocked. Honestly, I understand the concern but what is the procedure exactly? I'm so confused and frustrated over this that it makes me feel I should not tell them or cancel anything next time it happen. 

FYI, I have four cabin (9ftx13ft) and only rent two per night minimum of 2 nights to allow min 48h between guests.

3 Replies 3
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marc-André7 

So sorry this has happened to you. It sounds like a nightmare and certainly makes one think twice about contacting Airbnb in these situations and instead, sorting it out yourself.

As you posted this a while ago, is there any update on your situation?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0@Marc-André7 

This type of scenario what will be a disincentive for hosts to report to Airbnb any coronavirus/COVID-19 events that may have occurred at their properties.

@Anonymous mentioned this in another CC that also included @Yadira22.

Marc-André7
Level 2
Lac-Supérieur, Canada

Update: The guess and I tested negative a few days after the incident. I believe me not cooperating to have the unit professionally cleaned triggered my account bein under review. Two weeks after the incident I noticed no new booking for all six listings on my property. I know Airbnb as unlisted the listing in question but I was unaware they could make all my listings unfindable by guests. When I called Airbnb, they said a team is working on the issue and the only thing I can do is wait. It's been three weeks and still nothing and no new booking. Unfortunately, a few more days, and I will have no other choice but to create a new account or most likely disconnect from the platform and find a better one. It's too bad because I believe my ideal clients are on Airbnb but what is the point to have a listing if no one can find it.