Post-Covid ECP is still a mess - I lose another $500, this time as guest. Sigh.

Simon2553
Level 3
Zürich, Switzerland

Post-Covid ECP is still a mess - I lose another $500, this time as guest. Sigh.

I'm a super host w 3 properties and a strict cancellation policy who lost 30k of deposits from the covid ECP.

I was recently considering booking an AirBnb (as a guest) in a foreign country and was aware that the covid ECP would not apply.  So I reviewed the wording of the "standard ECP" and noted that if I am unable to fly due to illness, or if my flight is cancelled and there is no other travel option, then the ECP applies.

So I book the AirBnb.

Sure enough, my flight is cancelled by airline choice and they also put on hold all flights on that route for the next two weeks.  No flights are available for me until mid-June at the earliest. So my trip is cancelled (2000 km distance, no other option to travel)

I cancel the booking, and submit my request for ECP reimbursement.

The AirBnB rep replies

"Flight cancellations are part of Airbnb's extenuating policy if the flight has been cancelled due to the following reasons ONLY:
>Severe weather
>Natural disasters
>Airport closures"

And gives me the following link.

www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320

This is the exact ECP that I had reviewed before I booked.  I tell him that nowhere in that link does it state what he just said and ask him to point me to that section. He replies basically that "it is clear", and that's that.

Sigh.  Looks like I am now out of pocket an extra $500.  Insult to injury. 

I guess fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Lesson learned.

2 Replies 2
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I too read the policy, @Simon2553, when considering the risk of booking a place, but I fathomed the normal ECP wouldn't apply as flights are cancelled due to C19. I don't feel smug in deciding not to book, because I get we all want to go somewhere and we don't have cash on tap after all this. 

Simon2553
Level 3
Zürich, Switzerland

Hi @Gordon0 .  I definitely agree that a flight cancelled due to C19 is not covered.  But the flight wasn't cancelled due to C19.  

If they want to provide an ECP that only covers flights cancelled for specific reasons, then simply do so.

I mean...lol...two of the three valid reasons which the AirBnB rep referenced literally do not occur anywhere in the ECP link he sent me ("severe weather" and "airport closures").  It seems like they're still just making it up as they go along