Question for Australian Hosts in 'Covid free' states- how are you managing forward bookings from VIC and NSW

Question for Australian Hosts in 'Covid free' states- how are you managing forward bookings from VIC and NSW

Curious to know how people are managing forward bookings from VIC/NSW if you are in a state with a closed border to those. I am in Tas and I have been wondering what to do as I am quite done with managing last minute cancellations. (not to mention people asking me "can I override the AirBNB service fee?" they are getting charged due to multiple cancellations on their behalf) I just declined a guest request to book for 7 Dec and we have been told yesterday that we won't reach 90% vaccination until 1 Dec so it seemed likely to be very line ball (the guest also had a poor rating compared to my usual guests so seemed more trouble than it was worth).  I have 1 listing that is instant book so am just wondering if I put a note on the bottom of the listing noting there is no certainty about when guests from VIC and NSW can come and cautioning. What are others doing?

3 Replies 3
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Jodie115 and welcome to ABB CC from across the oceans in New Zealand

Firstly thoughts are with you all in these challenging unprecedented times.

Never did we here in NZ ever think we would see the scenes we have in Australia.

How about when you have accepted a booking and if it needs to be altered for whatever reason that you use 'Alteration' of dates so neither you, nor your potential guests are disadvantaged?

It's more conducive to good working relationship to be open with communication, act in Good faith and with Good Will, and rather than a straight out cancellation it also gives both you and your Guests something to look forward to in these ever changing and challenging times.

It may also potentially lead to flow on effects of other people in those Guests recommending you as a Host.

Use related keywords here in the CC searchbox and you will find other similar topics on moving forwards.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location, Remuera, Auckland, NZ

Here in Perth we are in the same situation. Yes, moving the dates forward is good, but don't block your busy times. We had a big booking from Melbourne, a repeat client, trying to get here all year. Moved the dates forward 3 or 4 times but the last move would have been over Christmas. Even they knew that wasn't fair, so I contacted Airbnb and they did the cancellation 100% to guest with no penalties either party. If you are willing to refund 100%, which you may or may not, that's the way to do it so you don't get dinged. 

And stay on top of the rules and regs so when a request comes in you can make an informed decision on your risk. We had one recently from a young lady in Victoria who was trying to get a G2G pass to come to WA to attend her friends wedding. Not going to happen, sorry. 

Also we have created quite a good local business. Romantic weekends etc. Depending on your listing maybe there is a way to get more local business. We have actually had our best 2 years ever.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Yes, we too have been swiftly rebooking on top of multiple cancellations.  Mostly rural trips to the city for medical or shopping, locals between rentals and new properties, itinerant travellers stuck here between jobs with accommodation, FIFOs and the occasional getaway. More 5 stars from realists who don't expect a champagne place for beer rent. We have added a $50 AUD cleaning fee to discourage 2 day stays and have long had a week for $300, the cost of 6 days. All good in the covid free state.