Really disappointed about my host and the Covid situation

Mildred31
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Really disappointed about my host and the Covid situation

My friends and I had planned on a trip to New Orleans this April. We've book the house since January and payed the first paiement for the rent of a house. Unfortunately, the coronavirus came in and things changed. With the Canadian borders suggesting to cancel any unnecessary travel outside the country, we had as healthcare professionals, to cancel before the second paiement. We didn't want to take any chances. I tried to find other ways with the host and airbnb to have the full refund of the first paiement by money but nothing worked. The host kept about 3/4 of the paiement and refund me 27$ and airbnb refund me their part by credit. Really disappointed with the host. Not open for any change due to this exceptional situation and their policies are too strict. This Cake life host in new Orleans can be sure that we won't book we them again and don't recommend them at all.

1 Reply 1
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Mildred, airbnb can always override a host's policy, they do it all the time for good reasons, such as yours, and for others that leave hosts banging heads against the wall. No one in Louisiana should be hosting anyone who isn't an essential worker right now. You would be crazy to want to go to New Orleans to shelter in place, right? Try calling the mostly overwhelmed customer support during Pacific standard time business hours, airbnb is based in San Francisco. Many say twitter is an effective way of getting attention, have you tried that? Bet you are glad you missed Mardi Gras! I must say that airbnb's giving you a credit toward future bookings is pretty shabby as well. It may be a long time before folks are traveling much for pleasure again & why should they sit on your $ meanwhile? Best of luck & stay well, Sally