Regional Stay at Home Orders

Jennifer1673
Level 3
Pine Mountain Club, CA

Regional Stay at Home Orders

California has hit new levels of infection, hospitalizations and deaths. Most of California are under Stay At Home Orders and not permitted to rent out to anyone but essential workers. I have blocked my calendar until 2/1/2021.  We have reminded people on our local Short Term Rental Facebook group and received notice from our association that we are not to rent as well.

We live 50 miles from the closest hospital and seriously doubt any essential worker would ask to stay here. 

Yet, disappointingly, there are many reports of hosts in our area renting (and price gouging) their units regardless of the orders. Several cars parked and many vacationers walking around the area. 

I think it's extremely disappointing that AirBnB is not monitoring hosts while many of us, the ones following the order, are losing thousands of dollars of income every month COVID continues. 

5 Replies 5
Carolyn150
Level 2
Pine Mountain Club, CA

I agree.  I think Airbnb should have us closed down as well.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Always remember we all need Warmth, Shelter and Food regardless of our situation in life

Jennifer1673
Level 3
Pine Mountain Club, CA

@Helen427 I agree with you but that doesn't have anything to do with the situation I'm discussing. People renting houses here are renting to vacationers. If the hosts are experiencing hardships, there are other options; small business loans, extending mortgage payments, etc. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jennifer1673 Issues like these are happening all over. I am glad that Airbnb is allowing hosts in the US to run their businesses and I do hope that hosts/guests do what is right. I don't think it is fair at all that Airbnbs properties can get away with so much and hotels/lodging are subject to so many fines and violations. 

@Emilia42 Airbnb is 'hoping' hosts do the right thing. Hope is not a strategy and even if they send information about COVID orders in emails, I think they're opening themselves up to class action lawsuits by not preventing reservations in locations under orders not to operate.