Request for Guests to recommit to their reservation

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Request for Guests to recommit to their reservation

Hi all did anybody hear an update about Arbnbs statement re asking guests to cancel or recommit to their reservations ?

' In the coming weeks, we’ll be asking hosts and guests to revisit these reservations and choose to either cancel or re-commit to the reservation. '

Airbnb are Snakes.
16 Replies 16
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Weren't we due an update today on this, and reservations beyond May 31, @Paul60? It's still early in Airbnbville, so maybe later? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul60 I guess they have done 50% of it by allowing hosts to cancel penalty free. Not being a guest I don't know if they have been asked but perhaps Airbnb thinks that by giving them free cancellation rights up to the end of May (likely to be extended on May 1) they have asked them to reconfirm. Clearly this is not the case as I am sure mosts guests are just waiting to see what happens with the various lockdowns and travel issues around the World before they cancel.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Paul60 

There's an update due today, May 1. So far, no sign of it on the site that I can see yet. Any news on that yet please @Lizzie , @Stephanie ?

Meanwhile...may 15 update.jpg

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Cancel Charge-Free By May 15

Whether you're unable to host or want to open your calendar for longer stays, you can cancel 2020 reservations booked before March 15 without changes or impact to your superhost status. Just be sure to cancel by May 15.

Intriguing change of terminology there to "cancel charge-free", from the "cancel penalty-free" used in previous notifications. Once again, watch your backs, hosts!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Susan17 @Paul60 @Mike-And-Jane0 and @Gordon0 ,

Thanks for the questions, here's the latest information on bookings up until June 15:

What is happening for June reservations?

As borders continue to be closed and billions are sheltering in place, some people will be unable to travel and we need to allow them to cancel. Eligible reservations with a check-in between June 1 and June 15, that were booked before March 15, can be cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy—but guests will need to substantiate that they’re sick or unable to travel. Our most recent host update explains the policy and how we’ll apply it moving forward.

If you have further questions, please do let me know!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Can you please confirm when the 'Extenuating Circumstances Policy' will be updated (at time of writing still dated 9th April & only until 31st May) as we need to advise guest with early June bookings accordingly & whether they will receive a full refund inc fees?

We also need to know whether after 15th May hosts are expected to "guess" at what they might have cancel until end of year otherwise they will be charged a penalty & loss of status?

Also will guests be charged fees if a hosts cancels? Many hosts (and guests) have fallen foul of this as it's not clear.

I realise that there will likely be further updates but hosts need act responsibly towards guests, and provide them with the best information, as there is a lot of confusion and guests are asking about June booking which is still not clear on the website despite what you have said above. With respect the host update you refer to is vague at best.

Thanks!

Since commenting above I have seen that the 'Extenuating Circumstances Policy' had just been updated.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1...

However the other part of my question still remains as to whether if a host cancels due to Covid19 the guests will still pay Airbnb fees?...

AND whether after 15th May hosts will have to 'guess' cancellations to end of year otherwise be penalised & guests will still pay Airbnb their fees? It seems a reasonable question in fairness to all.

Some clarity would be appreciated.

There are not extenuating circumstances in June in Spain and Europe and travelling will be aloud by may. Is ilegal not to use guest policy’s and not returning money to guest only voucher 

under European law is not legal 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Stephanie 

Thanks Steph. 

Any further update on the question @Paul60 raised, regarding the statement below, please?

"In the coming weeks, we’ll be asking hosts and guests to revisit these reservations and choose to either cancel or re-commit to the reservation"

Also, guests were being advised to hold off cancelling for bookings as far in the future as the end of July, until after the May 1 update (see screenshot below). So that did make it sound like there was a pretty significant update due for them today. Have they received the same update as us, or a different one altogether?

If different, could you post the Guest May 1 Update here on this thread too please, just so we're all in the loop about what's happening on both sides. Thanks!

ext guest may 1.jpg

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Certainly @Susan17 , I've requested that info and will share when I have it in hand.

Thanks

-----

Thank you, Steph. Much appreciated. Please ask the team to advise at their very earliest convenience. Hosts are in limbo, not knowing whether to cancel reservations or not, not knowing what it will mean for them if they do, and not knowing what the guests are being advised to do on on their side.

It would be really helpful for us all to have the complete picture as soon as possible so we can make informed decisions, instead of taking actions now - based on the very limited, vague information available to hosts at any given time - then suddenly finding ourselves being penalised for those actions at a later date, as has happened to so many in recent weeks/months.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Susan17 ,

Sorry the delay, I've had this information come back per your question on what a guest is seeing:

What communication have guests received regarding June reservations? 

Information on our policy is posted on our help center, including eligibility dates. We’re not planning any proactive email communication to guests, but we will have clear information for them if they need more clarity on upcoming trips. If a guest needs to cancel a reservation with a check-in between June 1 and 15, they’ll be prompted to reschedule or cancel under your policy. If they’re unable to travel due to COVID-19 they’ll have an option in the product to get a refund or travel credit — but they’ll need to substantiate that they’re sick or unable to travel.

Information on our policy is posted on our help center and FAQs, and we may continue to proactively email EC eligible guests with eligible reservations to alert them of their extended options for cancellation. Guests that have eligible reservations will find refund options in their cancellation flow on product. To be eligible for a travel credit or refund, they will need to attest to the fact that COVID-19 has impacted their travel. 

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephanie  - in Brian's video, he says we'll get an update on May 1 for June check-ins (in its entirety), but your note above only covers until June 15. Can you share more detail, please? Thanks.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Since last month I started to encourage all my guests to move to a later date, July 1st and beyond. All but 4 Airbnb reservations (for May & June) did so already; those 4 are waiting to see what happens. I will push them to move after I post some new pictures of how my place radically has changed during this time, to keep them excited, all in order to keep a reservation rather than have a cancellation or for them to get a 'voucher' from Airbnb which they may use elsewhere. To me, a reservation kept (aka moved) is more valuable than one I may get in the future to replace it.