Request host AND guest perspective on this?

Lori2103
Level 2
Barrie, Canada

Request host AND guest perspective on this?

So, wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Back in January we booked a trip to Spain in August.  We booked with a number of hosts.  

Then the pandemic hit.  We didn't cancel anything, as we were hopeful that a corner would be turned and we would be able to travel by August in some capacity.  

THEN our airline announced that they were resuming flights July 23, however our route had been cancelled.  They have cancelled our flight and all Toronto-Barcelona flights for the remainder of the summer.

I have managed to work out with the airline a future travel credit (because we WILL be taking this trip when we can) and all of our hosts were very lovely and understanding people and we will definitely be rebooking with all of them when we reschedule this trip.  Except one.  This host is NOT a small family type of business  - they own an entire building and have a number of apartments and have for years.  They flat out refused our refund saying they were open as of July 1 and we could still go, completely disregarding the fact that our flights have been cancelled.  

SO, I cancelled so that

1.  The host would still have time to rebook with someone else (I was still hopeful at this point that something could be worked out eventually) and didn't want to prevent a room from being rebooked that I knew we could not use; and

2.  I could not escalate to Airbnb until my request for a refund was officially rejected.

The past few days have been crazy.  AirBnB says that my booking was caused by Covid - however I wasn't covered under that policy because it expires on July 31 and my stay wasn' t until August 26.  So I then asked about the regular policy for extenuating circumstances regarding flight cancellations.  They say I'm not eligible for that either because the cancellation was caused by Covid (even though my airline is still flying to many other places - just not this route).  I guess I am not eligible for ANY type of extraordinary circumstance policy?  They also say that if the covid policy is extended they will not revisit it.

Is Airbnb trying to get guests to hold on to rooms they cannot use because nothing is covered?  I could have held on to the room preventing the host from being able to rebook it until the very last minute - likely resulting in any empty room.  

Because that is what I will do from now on if a host rejects a perfectly reasonable refund request like this.  I was not saying I didn't *want* to come and choosing not to stay, I frankly had no choice as my flight was cancelled with no option of rescheduling it.

Has anyone had any experience with this?  It is beyond frustrating - and I'm sorry for all future hosts I will book with because I will hold on to my booking until the last minute from now on.

23 Replies 23
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, @Lori2103, but you should have probably waited until closer to the date to see if the EC policy was updated (as it has been, repeatedly). Likewise, it would have meant you weren't stiffed for Airbnb fees (for any of your now-canceled bookings).

In the meantime, I would have thought your travel insurance will cover your losses?

Lori2103
Level 2
Barrie, Canada

Thanks @Gordon0

I had no idea the policy had been repeatedly updated.  We had no intention of cancelling and I don’t make a habit of hanging out on the Airbnb site.  If we could have gone - and everything looked like it was opening back up and we would more than likely be able to go in August – we would have.  HOWEVER, when my airline resumed operations they cancelled certain routes (due to business demands I guess) and mine was one of them.   I looked at the policies prior to cancellation and saw that the current covid policy was until July 31 and then reviewed the regular policy with regard to flight cancellations.  

My flight was cancelled.  I have no option of rebooking it.  This has been a business decision of my airline when they resume their operations.  It may indirectly have been caused by COVID, but it should be covered under one of the extenuating circumstances policies as all of it regardless of WHY it was cancelled is completely beyond my control.

I do have cancellation insurance however this doesn’t cover it as the host did not cancel and are still offering the stay.  My only hope right now that the travel advisory is still in effect in August as I will have another shot at the insurance then.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lori2103   You seem like a very conscientious guest that has gotten trapped in the web of various travel industry policies that really don't serve anyone, IMO.  I gather you have already cancelled all your Air BNB reservations and this one host, possibly a property manager, is not required at this time to provide a full refund.  As @Gordon0  has mentioned, Air BNB has made multipe changes as they feel their way through this pandemic.   Perhaps you can contact this final host and request the full refund based on their ability to rebook the listing during your previous booking.  I know that is often a compromise a host will make, especially if it is far enough in advance.  Let the host know that you are a traveler and your intentions are to be able to rebook at a later date when you are able to travel to the area.  It is worth a try.  Good luck, Linda

@Linda108 I try to be - I try to act towards people as I would want people to act towards me.  I have contacted the host and they have flat out refused.  I explained the situation to them (that my flight was cancelled and that I wasn't choosing not to come but I simply had no choice and would happily rebook with them when I was actually able to rebook this trip) but nope.  

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lori2103 sorry this happened to you. The pandemic has wreaked financial havoc on so many people. In the case of Airbnb, hosts have borne the majority of the costs of canceled trips, in many cases unwillingly as Airbnb unilaterally overrode cancellation policies. You had the misfortune to book with one who is not willing to absorb the cost of your cancellation when not required to. With their track record I'm surprised that Airbnb didn't grant you an extenuating circumstances cancellation, and their explanation obviously makes no sense, but if it is still possible to travel from your home to Barcelona by any means then the EC policy does not in fact apply. It may be that this is a financial impact of the pandemic that you will just have to absorb, among millions of the rest of us.

As noted above hindsight is 20/20; in future you may choose listings with flexible cancellation policies, or, if you need to cancel a nonrefundable reservation, before doing so tell the host that you will need to cancel and ask them to refund any amount they can recoup by rebooking. You will still have to rely on their goodwill to follow through, but many hosts will do this.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

I understand this.  To be honest I NEVER book with a strict cancellation policy (especially 8 months in advance).  When I look at their listing today, it still shows a flexible cancellation policy.  Airbnb states that this is a recent change and at the time I booked it was strict.  A flexible cancellation policy is one of my criteria so either 1. something was different from what I booked and what was in the back end or 2.  I made a mistake by booking this.  I am not in a position to prove either though as I didn't take a screenshot at the time I booked although I will definitely be sure to going forward. 

I have also absorbed many costs of the pandemic (not just this).  Everyone has.  I messaged them PRIOR to cancelling and would have been happy to compromise at even 50% and as stated, would have definitely rebooked with them (as I will with my other hosts) once I know I will be able to take this trip.   The only way I could escalate it to Airbnb was to go ahead and cancel, and escalate their refusal after that time.  The only thing their refusal to compromise has guaranteed is that I may be out my deposit, but they are also out the remainder of my stay and any possible future booking with me or anyone I know.

I just wanted to make sense of policies.  A cancelled flight is a cancelled flight and I should not be required to attempt to find a new airline to take me there when I have a future credit on my original airline (not a refund).  Perhaps I should have found a boat???!?.  

@Lori2103 "The only way I could escalate it to Airbnb was to go ahead and cancel" -- just for future reference, to my knowledge this is incorrect. Anyone can call Airbnb and request a penalty-free cancellation anytime (assuming you're willing to spend some time on hold).

Regarding Airbnb's EC cancellation policy "should" require... well, everyone has an opinion, but the policy is what it is.

As I stated in another response, I have learned a *lot* during this :). 

I have used Airbnb a lot but I am not a "power" user by any means.  That is what appeared to me to be my options but if you say that it is not true, I will defer to you.   Of course, they don't make this clear ;).   Between my friends and I we travel a lot and have used Airbnb's all over the world and, fortunately, have never needed to cancel anything.  After this I will think twice.   I had one hotel booked during this trip that wasn't an Airbnb and cancelling that was the easiest thing about this entire process.  It's a shame really, I really hope that the next pandemic isnt for another 100 years but a lot of people (hosts and guests alike) will likely never use this platform again.  I may be one of them.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lori2103   So you were not able to request a refund for the flight and could only get credit?  If so, then would your travel insurance cover your loss if you are not able/willing to take credit?  Doesn't seem fair to the traveler for an airline to have the choice to cancel a flight and only allow credit.  But "fair"  isn't always the guideline for businesses.

Regarding your flexible cancellation policy criteria when booking a reservation. Perhaps you can double check the details of the reservation given to you at the time.  Cancellation policy is noted on such reservation email.  It is possible the system has made an error and if you have proof you reserved under the flexible policy, then CS would be able to require the full refund.  Just a thought.

@Linda108 It's currently a contentious issue here in Canada as all the airlines have offered only credit.  To be honest, the credit is good for 24 months and I'm not limited to this specific route, so I wasn't all that bothered about it  - I plan to make this trip as soon as I can or, if I can't, another one in the next two years.   I would probably have the ability to fight it through insurance, but the airline has credited all fees (including seat selection which they would not do if I forced a cancellation as those fees are nonrefundable).

Unfortunately, the email address I had on the account at the time was a work one that I no longer have access to.  I have most definitely learned a number of lessons from this!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If I had all the money that it cost me as I was learning lessons...:P

My neighbors from British Columbia are not certain they will be able to use the US home this winter due to possible travel restrictions.  We live near Palm Springs and our Candian snow birds had to quickly exit in March due to closing borders and flight cancellations.  Also, whether they will be able to get out of country health insurance if they do travel down is questionable.  Have you had the same problems?

Fortunately, I have travel insurance through work, so unless work makes an exclusion for any reason, I dont need to worry about it.  I *did* have a colleague who was in Florida in March (at Disney) and managed to go their last day before it closed.  He didn't rush back at that time as his flight wasn't cancelled.

I have a friend of the family who goes to San Diego every winter.  He is older, and chose to shelter in place there until his insurance ran out (he can't stand the cold).  He waited until the very last minute and then came back.  He drove however and they can't shut the border to citizens coming home, so that didn't affect him too much either.  Whether he will be able to return next year with insurance remains to be seen, never mind the fact that he is 93!!  Quite remarkable that he is still doing this actually.  I don't think anyone knows what things will look like next week much less next winter, there is still so much uncertainty.  The only thing I do know is that the border is closed until the end of July for nonessential travel.  Whether that will get extended or not remains to be seen, and I think will depend a lot on the numbers on both sides.

@Lori2103 

In most cases, unless you booked one of those airtel package deals, your hotel/Airbnb (accomodations) booking and flight/train/bus(transportation) bookings are independent of one another. 

Due to covid-19, not only were majority of flights cancelled but also there were entry restrictions for international travellers which was why many hosts and hotels alike provided refunds beyond what was due per the cancellation policy.

Technically speaking.... your host (or hotel) are not obligated to refund or change booking dates simply because the AIRLINE cancelled a flight. Unfortunately..... you chose to accept credit and reschedule your trip altogether - instead of getting a refund and finding alternate flights to keep your original travel dates. 

If your situation meets the criteria for an Extenuating Circumstance then Airbnb will refund regardless of what the cancellation policy is and regardless of what the host says or wants. 

I guess you didn't read my entire post.  I CANNOT reschedule my flight as they have cancelled this route for the entire summer, so I could not reschedule it if I tried until next summer.   The problem with my cancelled flight is that it is not caused directly by Covid as they are resuming operations as of July 23.  They made a business decision to cancel certain routes once they resumed.  It may indirectly have been caused by covid, but is not a direct result of it.  No one can seem to sort out the issue.

So, *technically speaking*  under the regular extenuating circumstances policy Airbnb covers for this.  Your comment is plain wrong as you didn't bother to read my whole post above where I stated that I *cannot* rebook the flight for this reason.

PS - I was not offered the choice of a credit or refund.  I could fight it through insurance (probably) but by the time it would have all been sorted it would probably have been too late anyway - and I still wouldn't have my flight to Spain.