Should we cancel a reservation where the guest is not supposed to travel?

Nicola343
Level 2
Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Should we cancel a reservation where the guest is not supposed to travel?

Hi there peeps

We are in NSW Australia and under partial lockdown. People are not meant to be travelling unless for essential reasons. We received an email from AirBnB today advising Australian hosts to be mindful of the laws and strictly adhere to them. Does this mean I should be cancelling the reservation we have for Easter? yes the guest probably should not be travelling but is the onus on them to cancel or is it illegal for us to be accepting reservations as well? I am confused. Perhaps we should just contact the guest and ask them to re-consider their travel?

Thanks

Nicola

4 Replies 4
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

There are steep fines if you go out for any reason other than the 4 stated, shopping, work, doctor, exercise.  So no, is the answer. No travel.

Nicola343
Level 2

Thanks Sandra. Yep understand that but that means the guest should not be travelling correct and they would be the ones fined and should be cancelling? It's not illegal for me to have accepted the booking is it...? Understand completely though that I should be encouraging them not to come. Thanks for your advice:)

@Nicola343 

100% you should contact them first, communication with your guests is best option under any circumstances.

Hey! Do you know about the new laws and stuff? They might have a valid reason for travel that's why they wouldn't cancel, or they just don't know and you just inform them. 

Plus the holiday travelers market already hit zero,  most likely they might need to travel for work. 

Nicola343
Level 2

Thank you. Yes I’ve contacted them this afternoon so will see what they say. Meanwhile will investigate NSW restrictions properly so I know where we stand legally should the guest not cancel.

thanks

nicola