THANKS @airbnb FOR TAKING MY 50% REFUNDS AND PAYING ME 12.5% INSTEAD

THANKS @airbnb FOR TAKING MY 50% REFUNDS AND PAYING ME 12.5% INSTEAD

How generous of you @Airbnb to continue to override our agreements with our guests.

I thought it was really creative the way you

guys figured out how to continue to force losses on the hosts but make it sound like you were being generous.

Your first change was stupid (it was not a matter of public health because you could have had the same effect by providing credits to the guests so they could reschedule their trips in the future).  Instead of realizing that YOU DOUBLED DOWN ON SCREWING THE HOSTS!

Let me make it simple for you... here’s the solution... EITHER LEAVE OUR AGREED UPON CANCELLATION POLICIES ALONE OR PAY THE REUNDS IN CREDITS OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!!!!!!!!!

83 Replies 83

word!!!!!!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anthony1092 

As far as I understood, Airbnb is offering the guest a choice of a full refund or of a credit for future travel. So, Airbnb could claim that they have listened to the many hosts (and guests) who have been calling for a voucher credit scheme.

The problem with this is, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, is that if the guest choose the future credit (not sure why they would when they can get a full refund now) the host sees no benefit. The host will still not be paid, other than the 12.5% if they are even eligible for that under their cancellation policy, and the credit can be used to book any Airbnb. They are not obligated to book with the host they cancelled on.

So, whether the guest opts for the full refund or the travel credit, it is the same to the host, who will lose everything or almost everything.

Hey @Huma0 

How are you.

Have you seen the new Superhost grants - I think we should both be eligible ?

Hi @Helen3  I am okay, how are you?

No, unfortunately I am not eligible. Even though I am a small time host with just private rooms in my own house (no big corporate, money making machine going on here) and will be severely hit financially by this,  I do not qualify as I have three listings for rooms in my house. You are only allowed two.

Besides, it's by invitation only. We can't just apply.

Same  boat. Crazy it's on listings not properties. If all in same property it's no different.  Do you qualify for any govt help or like me are you not, under instruction from HMRC , self employed?

@John1902 

Yes, I am self employed, but on my tax return, the Airbnb income does not come under my self employed earnings, but under property. It is listed separately. So, I don't know that I would qualify for that. 

My self-employment income was not much as my job is pretty low paid, but I have lost that too, so perhaps could qualify for some help on that basis.

We are in the same boat. Has AirBnb said why they are punishing their more loyal hosts that have 3 or more listings. 

@Huma0 Me too!

(-Tho' my losses will be bookings which would have been made now & in the future, as I don't open my calendar far in advance, so did not get lots of cancellations. )

The Superhost grant is ... a mystery! It's sad. So many of us are small - with one or two rooms. I have no income at all now, and it's going to get tricky to even pay my utilities. Maybe some of the hosts who have many many properties will share .... is that wishful thinking ... yeh, that's probably just wishful thinking. 

Time to plant a garden, turn off the heat, and hunker down.

@Helen3 Weren't you shaming me because you thought I wanted a handout?

No I never 'shamed' you because you 'wanted a handout'. I never tried to 'shame' you at all.

I said it was unfair that you wanted to keep guests money they had paid Airbnb,  for a service you were unable to provide because the guest couldn't travel and you were not allowed to run STRs.

Not at all the same thing. How in your head you equated the two I am not sure 🙂

This 'grant' money we are discussing is not guest money. It is money from Airbnb.

no i have not can you tell me about that

NOBODY would choose credit.

@Trish164 I would, I travel a lot.