THANKS @airbnb FOR TAKING MY 50% REFUNDS AND PAYING ME 12.5% INSTEAD

THANKS @airbnb FOR TAKING MY 50% REFUNDS AND PAYING ME 12.5% INSTEAD

How generous of you @Airbnb to continue to override our agreements with our guests.

I thought it was really creative the way you

guys figured out how to continue to force losses on the hosts but make it sound like you were being generous.

Your first change was stupid (it was not a matter of public health because you could have had the same effect by providing credits to the guests so they could reschedule their trips in the future).  Instead of realizing that YOU DOUBLED DOWN ON SCREWING THE HOSTS!

Let me make it simple for you... here’s the solution... EITHER LEAVE OUR AGREED UPON CANCELLATION POLICIES ALONE OR PAY THE REUNDS IN CREDITS OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!!!!!!!!!

83 Replies 83

I understand your point. But frankly I don't think Airbnb we'll change their polices as they will loose money.

Yet I don't understand why AIRBNB does not lobby for confinements in the empty units! There are millions of empty units!.

I think it would be the best or of all of us Airbnb makes an agreement with the governements for CONFINEMENTS in Airbnb units.  They have the power to offer that.

Here is the scientific basis in my article in my family blog. My wife is a Medical Doctor and I'm a health research agents. Our blog is funny but about serious issues.

https://docdog.org/2020/04/05/confine-only-the-groups-of-risk-how-the-empty-aibnb-hotels-may-help-so...

AirBnB has specifically asked hosts not to advertise their listings for COVID isolation. I assume this is because AirBnB's legal team advised them of their potential liability if they allow this sort of advertising to be done. 

AirBnB's legal team has also most likely advised them to offer 100% refunds to all their guests in order to avoid a class action suit from guests. The 25% refund they are offering to qualifying hosts probably also indemnifies them from a class action suit from their hosts. Unfortunately for hosts with anything but strict cancellation policies, this probably means you will receive bupkus. Some would argue this is the risk you took by choosing a larger quantity of bookings by offering a "friendlier" cancellation policy vs. hosts who chose security of bookings with a strict policy. 

Even if AirBnB had offered cancellation insurance, this would have been overridden by the force majeure clause included in any well crafted policy. The COVID-19 pandemic is a text book example of a force majeure event.

I have taken the approach of requesting all my booked guests cancel and I will provide them with 100% refunds no questions asked. Pleasure travel is dead for the foreseeable future. I have refocused my business on long-term stays for local guests whose living situations have been disrupted by the crisis and who are not subject to travel restrictions. I have dropped my prices 30% to try and accommodate the many people out there whose income has been adversely affected. I am trying to keep myself afloat while helping as much as I can. I know this will not be a viable option to hosts in vacation destinations.

All the best getting through this, but mostly stay healthy and safe. Bonne chance!

I have not seen a penny of the 12.5% refund to hosts. Has anyone received this from Airbnb?

@Heather124

I requested clarification on the terms and timing of this programme from Aisling Hassell, Airbnb VP of Community Support, a couple of days ago. See my query and Aisling's response on the thread below

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Reaching-Community-Support/td-p/1274235/page/2

Since posting, a relatively small batch of payouts from the $250 million Host Aid fund has actually been released (yesterday), but as with all Airbnb financial matters, is riddled with anomalies and discrepancies, including (but not limited to) many hosts receiving far less than the promised 12.5% for each payout, missing payouts for cancelled bookings, payout amounts being shown to hosts in currencies other than their own (making it confusing and difficult to work out if the amounts are correct), eligible pre-March 31 cancellations being excluded in many instances, despite Airbnb’s assurance that the 12.5% recompense would be applied retroactively, some hosts receiving (small) payouts for cancellations that aren't eligible under the scheme, etc etc

So once again, we're either dealing with gross negligence and technical incompetence (from a multi-billion dollar global TECH company), or a deliberate attempt at chicanery and obfuscation. Whichever way you look at it, a sad and sorry reflection on Airbnb. 

From more than 60 cancellations they gave to me 1500 wich is les than 13% 

Sadly...nope.

Is completely illegal what they did. Legal movements are moving around against airbnb

COMPLETELY AGREE with @Anthony1092 

What a joke.....COVID-19 support payments from Airbnb; absurd!  

Hosts have been screwed and pressures by Airbnb the entire time to refund 100% of guest reservations with the promise of "shared financial burden" rhetoric from Airbnb.

I should have know better......

The 25% support payment amount is not calculated on the total amount of monies lost on "extenuating circumstance" cancelations. 25% is paid out on the amount which would have been refunded under normal "host set" refund policy. For us personally it works out to be 10% at best- as we operate with a "strick" refund policy for our guest reservations. 

ALSO, the Small Business Association Grants......…(SBA); if you apply SBA will recognize you are hosting through Airbnb and all hosts fall under the Airbnb umbrella now! 

The grant money has been funneled to Airbnb and this is where the 25% Support Payment money is coming from that is payed to hosts. 

I have suspended my (2) host accounts !

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is on our Archive board.

The contents of this article are no longer representative of the Airbnb product/policy as of today.

For the latest information on updates and products, please refer to our Airbnb Updates board.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click: start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines