Updates about how our Extenuating Circumstances Policy applies during the pandemic

Airbnb
Official Account

Updates about how our Extenuating Circumstances Policy applies during the pandemic

As the global pandemic continues to evolve, public health is one of our top priorities. We are continuing to monitor COVID-19 developments, local government guidance, and making changes as we learn more. 

We know many of you have questions about our Extenuating Circumstances policy as it relates to documentation standards, travel credits, and policy changes as countries shift into recovery mode. 

We want to share more information with you on this. 

Documentation Standards & Travel Credit

To cancel under the Extenuating Circumstances Policy for COVID-19 related reasons, guests are required to attest to the facts of and/or provide documentation of their extenuating circumstances. With widespread travel restrictions prohibiting travel, many guests have been eligible to cancel under the Policy, and we have seen many guests elect to receive travel credit rather than pursuing a cash refund.

Most guests who cancel under the Policy for COVID-19 related reasons are cancelling for one of the following reasons:

1. Government-mandated restrictions like border closures, quarantines and shelter-in-place orders
  2. Medical instructions not to travel
  3. Transportation disruptions, cancellations and closures
  4. Medical professionals required to work in connection with the COVID-19 outbreak
  5. Traveler is sick with COVID-19

Offering travel credit to guests who can’t travel now encourages them to book with an Airbnb host in the future. 

Given the unpredictability of COVID-19, hosts will likely continue to see cancellations from guests who cannot travel because of COVID-19. We heard some of you are concerned with guests taking advantage of this policy by cancelling and rebooking for the same dates with another listing and lower price. We are continuing to monitor the course of the pandemic, the Policy, and guest cancellation options to ensure refunds issued to guests are merited under the Policy.

We plan to update this page with current information about the Extenuating Circumstances policy, so you can bookmark it to stay informed. As decisions are made, we’ll continue to keep you updated. 

75 Replies 75

@Andrew2443 Good luck with the ganging up on Airbnb plan. It isn't credible. If you feel so strongly then just remove your listings as you suggest. Beware though - Other platforms may not be much better.

Andrew2443
Level 2
Braco, United Kingdom

This is my first post within the community and apologises of this is a common gripe!  

A guest cancelled on the morning they were due to check in due to their son’s positive Covid test.  I told them as a gesture of good will, if the dates don’t get rebooked, I’d offer half their money back.  The guest applied to Airbnb and have been given a full refund.  The dates at the last minute haven’t been filled.  Leaving me £600 out of pocket. Whilst I am sympathetic to the guests son and situation I feel the policy in the UK does not reflect a fair position.  No other company would offer any return.  

I’m not sure if others feel that in the UK this policy needs to be updated.  And if there is anything we can do to put pressure on Airbnb to revisit it?  I’m currently waiting a call back from Airbnb support.  

I’m all for being fair to guests, but a last minute cancellation on the morning of the booking, when they knew the child was waiting a result is totally unfair.  

has anyone had similar?  

thanks 

Andrew (apologises for the rant). 

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Andrew2443  "No other company would offer any return." Not true. I just booked next summers holiday through Cottages.co.uk and they told me they will offer to move the dates or refund me if I or one of my family who are staying contracts covid just before the check in date. This may change in the future. 

As much as this is a pain its going to happen to some hosts. I believe Airbnb asks for proof if a guest has covid, otherwise guests can cancel citing covid as the reason and claim 100% back. I'm sure some slip through the net given Airbnb's horrific customer service. 

M223
Level 2
California, United States

This just happened to me too on New Years Eve. Guest cancelled the day before arrival citing a positive Covid test. I told her I would give her a full refund if I get rebooked, but Airbnb issued an immediate cancellation with full refund to her, despite my strict cancellation policy. I'm out $1800 USD and stayed vacant throughout the NYE weekend. I am a new host and a life-long traveler. While I am sympathetic and wish the guest all the best,  from an economic standpoint, I cannot make sense of how the full risk of traveling during the pandemic became fully borne by the homeowner who has to incur a cost to provide that one commodity traded on Airbnb marketplace. When I first saw the cancellation with full refund, I had assumed that Airbnb had an insurance in place that covers guests positive tests and therefore it triggers the refund. I was surprised to find out later that I am in fact the insurance. How did that happen?

Hello beautiful people, I hope this message finds you in health and spirit, could you please help me by filling this survey for my research paper for a consultancy project at the university, https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfx8oZuEfOxGbe93oet4j_DUSpEqwbm_TnQfrqhAE6J1n8jIg/viewform?... 

I will be grateful to each one of you. 

Thank you very much! 

@Arij436  You already made a topic post on this. It isn't okay to keep posting it on multiple threads- that is spamming behavior.

Priscillia9
Level 2
Albias, France

Bonjour, je souhaiterai annulé le programme de nettoyage COVID mais je ne sais comment faire?

Pouvez vous me dire comment on fait ? 

Merci à vous

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

I've given 2 refunds due to covid this summer season, and was happy to do so as the circumstances were genuine. i ended up slightly out of pocket as one of the cancellations included xmas week, which I did manage to get a 3 day rental at least.

I don't understand guests who travel during a pandemic (for pleasure), knowing there's a risk they'll pick up covid at the supermarket, or anywhere!, and then want ME to shoulder the loss should they cancel at the last minute.   Have a current inquiry asking for just that, for a public holiday long weekend no less. Had one last week as well, he told me he wasn't going to book unless I changed my cancellation policy to zero days.  I had 3 cancellations in one week last month, so i shifted my policy to Moderate (5 days). 

@Gillian166  "Had one last week as well, he told me he wasn't going to book unless I changed my cancellation policy to zero days."

It's rather amusing when these aggressive-type guests assume hosts are so desperate for their booking that they'll do whatever for the privilege of hosting them.  

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Gillian166  "Had one last week as well, he told me he wasn't going to book unless I changed my cancellation policy to zero days."

It's rather amusing when these aggressive-type guests assume hosts are so desperate for their booking that they'll do whatever for the privilege of hosting them.  

I am grateful that these types wave their own red flags in my face like this. I'm really very forgiving regarding cancellations, but to demand i offer it.... what else will he demand from me?  anyway, i politely declined and he didn't respond.  My other guest has also asked me to change my policy and i've offered her a 2 day cancellation due to covid, should it happen. she seems super worried about covid, I do hope she doesn't manifest it for herself. Anyway, I didn't pre-approve so i'll let her decide. Maybe someone else will swoop in and book those dates instead. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone, 

We're recently announced some further changes to the Covid-19 Extenuating Circumstances policy. You can read more about those and let us know what you think here: 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Update-to-our-approach-for-guests-sick-with-COVID...

Thanks!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

I received a cancellation and request for a refund. 2 days before the booking because 1 of the 6 guests arriving has tested positive for Covid. There reservation is during a long weekend. What am I required to give for refund? How do you go about giving a refund 

Gabrielle345
Level 2
Montgomery, VT

I am a super host who also uses Airbnb when traveling. My hosting account has just been suspended because I had to cancel a traveling reservation because I tested positive for Covid. Does anyone know where this type of circumstance is addressed in Airbnb policy? Has anyone ever had this happen?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gabrielle345 For stays booked before May 31st the extenuating circumstances policy includes guests getting a full refund if the test positive for Covid. 

Yep, I got a full refund. My question is about my hosting. My account has now been suspended but I have guests scheduled to come next week. The policy basically says I shouldn’t enter my property and guests can’t stay for 14 days…but I have reservations for next week