Vaccine

Answered!

Vaccine

Hi all,

just wondering what everyone’s reactions are to helping with the vaccine effort through Airbnb? There was the recent memo. All for vaccination effort. My thought would be I hope it helps the locals in these health deserts and doesn’t create a travel to vaccinate incentive? Open to all options.

thanks!

1 Best Answer
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Debra300  

I also believe that this is a PR-exercise. Especially after having read this section in Chris Lehane's letter to the government:

• The backbone of our Airbnb community is made up of the travel industry’s everydayheroes—Americans who share their homes to earn extra income, entrepreneurs who offer local tourist experiences, and small business owners, of whom more than half depend on their Airbnb income to meet their monthly needs.

The majority of these hosts depend on their monthly earnings generated through theAirbnb platform. Airbnb hosts keep up to 97% of their listing price and in a recent surveywe conducted, more than half of hosts surveyed in the U.S. (53%) said their Airbnb income
    helped them stay in their homes. Nearly one in five (18%) said hosting on Airbnbhelped them avoid eviction or foreclosure. Of our U.S. hosts, 14% said they are teachers orlive with a teacher, more than half of hosts are women, and seniors are one of our largesthost cohorts.

Doesn't have much to do with vaccination, right? But that's fine. Chris Lehane's job is to advocate for airbnb, that's what he's getting paid for..

-------------

https://news.airbnb.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2021/01/Airbnb-letter-on-vaccine-distribution-22-...

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kade3,

This is another Airbnb PR stunt.  As a host I would be reluctant to participate in any effort like this that is coordinated through Airbnb, because they are notorious for deflecting responsibility for damages, and leaving hosts holding the bag.  I can see the loopholes right now.  According to the Terms of Service, a host may submit a claim due to damages created only by registered guests, and gatherings must be limited to no more than 16 people. There are so many unanswered questions that are swirling through my mind.

These are just some of the open questions.  Will Airbnb waive its fees?  Do they expect hosts to volunteer their spaces, or will Airbnb pay them?  Who will be the registered guests of record?  The US Federal Government?  Will Airbnb get approval from the hosts neighborhood or city council to hold a large gathering?  Will the host be responsible to get a health certificate?   If there are more than 16 people at the rental, does that mean the guest violated the policy?  If the host doesn't break up the gathering will Airbnb penalize them by rejecting any damage claims or delist the property?  If a patient has an accident on the property, will Airbnb assume the liability?  Will Airbnb pay the host to have the space cleaned to a clinical level daily before and after the vaccination appointments?

It is my understanding that people are designated specific regions or locations where they can get vaccinated, and most of those places require appointments which probably includes residency verification.  

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Debra300  

I also believe that this is a PR-exercise. Especially after having read this section in Chris Lehane's letter to the government:

• The backbone of our Airbnb community is made up of the travel industry’s everydayheroes—Americans who share their homes to earn extra income, entrepreneurs who offer local tourist experiences, and small business owners, of whom more than half depend on their Airbnb income to meet their monthly needs.

The majority of these hosts depend on their monthly earnings generated through theAirbnb platform. Airbnb hosts keep up to 97% of their listing price and in a recent surveywe conducted, more than half of hosts surveyed in the U.S. (53%) said their Airbnb income
    helped them stay in their homes. Nearly one in five (18%) said hosting on Airbnbhelped them avoid eviction or foreclosure. Of our U.S. hosts, 14% said they are teachers orlive with a teacher, more than half of hosts are women, and seniors are one of our largesthost cohorts.

Doesn't have much to do with vaccination, right? But that's fine. Chris Lehane's job is to advocate for airbnb, that's what he's getting paid for..

-------------

https://news.airbnb.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2021/01/Airbnb-letter-on-vaccine-distribution-22-...

Those are great open questions to consider @Debra300 and good point @Ute42, if its the job to advocate then get it done. Always appreciate hearing our communities perspectives. Thank you both.

Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Currently, I'm working with a non-profit in Los Angeles, CA, USA. It makes no sense for any medical professional to 'travel' to help with vaccinations. In all vaccine sites, it's local medical personnel. This is 2 of many reasons, licensing and liability insurance. Also, why would a person leave their city to travel to another city to vaccinate? Why would anyone hire a Chicago nurse to travel to Los Angeles to vaccinate when we have thousands of RN's, LVN's, MA's, EMT-P here? Or why would a volunteer travel from New York to Los Angeles, when there's tons of clinics there that need help. 

But be aware, there are tons of volunteers from an organization that takes students from all over the USA to come to Los Angeles or a designated city to volunteer. They do it for school credit, resume and life experiece. And I think it's up to 3 months. They all need to stay at a designated dorm style accommodations set up with this volunteer organization. They are the only group I know of that travels to volunteer.