When a guest wants to cancel due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and asking for a full refund when you have a STRICT policy!

ToniMarie0
Level 2
Seattle, WA

When a guest wants to cancel due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and asking for a full refund when you have a STRICT policy!

I'm a host and have a STRICT policy set in place for all my properties.  I have compassion and understand that guests might want to cancel based on what they hear... especially since my properties are located in Seattle, WA.  By the way, it more hype than reality.   Here is what I send the guest and it seems to work. 

----------------

Dear (Guests Name),

Thank you for your message. I understand you want to cancel your reservation.

As you know we have a “Strict” Cancellation policy.

However, I would be happy to give you a one-time, “Special Offer”, so it’s not a complete loss on your end or ours.

We would be happy to apply the cancellation funds from your reservation sent to us by Airbnb, minus any taxes and fees, toward a future booking at our property.

You will have six months to use these funds towards a booking. After which you will forfeit the funds.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,
Toni Marie ** - Host

-------------------------

I hope this helps all you host.  I did find out that the guests can still leave a review, after they cancel their reservation. 

😕

[Personal details hidden]

34 Replies 34
Sanjar1
Level 1
Brighton, GB

I wrote to my guests reminding them of reservation and all wanted to cancel I think this is the best outcome under the current circumstances at least we all know my calendar is clear and feel safer. I will invite autumn/ late summer books to full refund cancellation too. 

i wrote the message below.

Hi,

Thank you for your message. I have been thinking about your cancellation request.
As you know we have a “Strict” Cancellation policy, which means I retain some or all of reservation money. however, I would like to offer you full refund in the face of crisis. I believe in times like these we need to show solidarity and understanding.
This has been a difficult decision for me as Copper Cottage is my income source and I have had a dozen cancellations in the last three weeks. I have lost my entire revenue and do not qualify for the government support for small businesses due to a technicality they have introduced. my outgoings such as utility, mortgages, etc, are still high; if you are able to support us that would be greatly appreciated. We accept cheques, gift cards and magic beans at

**Address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Kind Regards,
sanjar qiam

L71
Level 1
Malibu, CA

@ToniMarie0 

**"It's more hype than it is realty?'  The death toll is over 3,000 as of today.  So you think that people literally dying is just "hype?"  

People are dying and it's very serious.  You are located in a heavily impacted are where the virus is rampant.  Do you want people to get on a plane, go patronize your local businesses, stay in your home, and potentially unknowingly pass this to hundreds more people?

We support the travel industry and want to encourage more trips, but only when the time is right.   You are exacerbating a much larger problem. 

I hope that hosts reading your absurd "copy and paste" don't truly take this into consideration and instead have consideration for the elderly, our babies, the weak that couldn't survive this virus and the lives of all human in general. 

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@L71  This thread was started a month ago. I would hope that @ToniMarie0 has smartened up by now. There's a lot of people who were of the opinion, in spite of all evidence to the contrary, that it was an overblown hype, who are eating crow right now. Those who are still of that mind, are indeed idiots and a danger to others.

Colette101
Level 2
Chagford, United Kingdom

My Italian guest wants me to cancel on his behalf so that he he gets a full refund. He has said that I won't have to pay a penalty, but all I read suggests I will have to pay...not sure how much. There are new restrictions on travel in Italy so I sympathise...but I don't want to be left with a bill. Any suggestions?

@Colette101  You will absolutely receive penalties if you cancel. Never do this.

It isn't your problem that a guest won't get a refund for cancelling- they agreed to the cancellation policy when they booked.

That said, a host can always refund a guest in full if they want to, but you shouldn't feel obligated to.

And be aware that if you receive an Airbnb message saying tbe guest wants to cancel, asking you to approve or declineif you approve, that is registered as a host cancellation with all the attendent penalties. Always decline those messages.