When a guest wants to cancel due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and asking for a full refund when you have a STRICT policy!

ToniMarie0
Level 2
Seattle, WA

When a guest wants to cancel due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and asking for a full refund when you have a STRICT policy!

I'm a host and have a STRICT policy set in place for all my properties.  I have compassion and understand that guests might want to cancel based on what they hear... especially since my properties are located in Seattle, WA.  By the way, it more hype than reality.   Here is what I send the guest and it seems to work. 

----------------

Dear (Guests Name),

Thank you for your message. I understand you want to cancel your reservation.

As you know we have a “Strict” Cancellation policy.

However, I would be happy to give you a one-time, “Special Offer”, so it’s not a complete loss on your end or ours.

We would be happy to apply the cancellation funds from your reservation sent to us by Airbnb, minus any taxes and fees, toward a future booking at our property.

You will have six months to use these funds towards a booking. After which you will forfeit the funds.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,
Toni Marie ** - Host

-------------------------

I hope this helps all you host.  I did find out that the guests can still leave a review, after they cancel their reservation. 

😕

[Personal details hidden]

34 Replies 34
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@ToniMarie0  They can't leave a review unless they cancel day of check-in.

Thank you for letting me know that.  I had just spoken with Airbnb Customer Service S.F. and I asked that questions multiple time to confirm the answer and never mentioned "unless they cancel day of check-in"  Thank you!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can certainly leave whatever message you like @ToniMarie0  but Airbnb will still cancel penalty free if it meets their policy for cancellation on their EC policy for the Corona Virus.

I know but if the guests feel they have options, they might not consider the EC policy.  

I am a Airbnb host and my cancellation is set to 50% refund but I am getting Airbnb guests that wants me to help them get a full refund which I think is not fair because someone else could of booked those days they book and still came. I have Airbnb guests that are still coming to Boston.

@Rio3720 what would be fair? We are in the beginning of a pandemic that has not even reached its peak here in US.  Regardless of our cancellation policy, rules are not written in stones, and we need to have some solidarity, It’s not even safe for hosts or guests to travel during this pandemic.  This is about human lives.  Good lock & be safe 

True, but not all guests are dishonest and not all try to introduce extenuating circumstance claims when there aren't any.  I've had 3 so far who asked for nothing.

Update:  I have 3 people who cancelled out of PERSONAL DISINCLINATION to travel.

After my last post, they either got the ABB email or heard about it in the news.

They have ALL introduced full refund request, leaving me with nothing to compensate my staff or pay my renovations or utilities.

In addition, I have refunded without discussion (what is the point) people in July, august, September who have cancelled for ECONOMIC reasons (they are laid off no longer taking holiday this year - to my mind this is NOT an extenuating circumstance - but given ABB first response I gave up caved and reimbursed everyone)

If day that’s definitely an extenuating circumstance.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

@ToniMarie0  I'm in the same situation as you, Strict policy, never had a cancellation before, have 4 this week.

I am not proposing any kind of refund or discount, they will have to ask for it and motivate their reason on the platform.

Even with "strict" guests  get 50% back on your rent up to when cancelling up to 7 days before!  That seems extremely flexible and fair to me.  What airline, cruise ship, package vacation, or even cancellatioon insurance offers this flexibility?  Btw Airbnb does NOT give them 50% of their booking fees back, those are due in full.

I do not want to prolong this crisis by cutting into my future income and blocking my calendar a year in advance.

I want my answe'r to document the fact that they reach out about cancelling from personal choice and paranoia about travel, not due to any real extenuating circumstances.

My answer to cancellation request has been:

Thanks for reaching out.  

There is no official travel ban, restriction or quarantine on in our area, but I understand if you want to make the personal choice of not travelling in the current environment.

We adhere to Airbnb cancellation protocol, if you want to cancel your reservation click here to the left on "refunds and cancellations" to see the details of the policy and how to cancel.  If you have any questions i'd be glad too walk you through how to do it.

I hope you will reconsider, we would love to have you, but we have no hard feelings if you do decide you want to cancel.

Kind regards,

Susan

Thanks Susan, thats a great response.

I've just had a guest message saying that they are considering cancelling due to fear of the virus not from any actual risk. They are already in the country traveling and theres no travel bans where we are (NZ) so Im curious if Airbnb will refund them in full if they do cancel. I have a strict cancellation policy also. 

FYI: The booking is a 2 week booking so its going to really hurt if they cancel and get a full refund with just over a week to arrive. 

I really feel that Airbnb should be encouraging guests to make use of their travel insurance (most credit cards also have travel insurance benefits) to refund rather than putting the burden on hosts - especially in non-virus threat areas. 

@Penelope50 

Hopefully you have their message on the platform where they express their fear but no extenuating circumstance.

If not try to find a way to copy paste the message into. the app when you reply?

I always reiterate that there is no reason not to come except for personal disinclination to travel or personal choice etc. that will make it harder for people to claim a sudden extenuating circumstance if there is none.

At the same time, if they do respect the Airbnb protocol without pressuring for additional flexibility or even better conditions, I am always very conciliatory and tell them no hard feelings etc. even though I'm quite disappointed and losing a lot due to this.

No @Penelope50 Airbnb will not refund their booking fees or 50%. of the rental.

If they cancel more than 7 days. before you keep 50% of the rental amount but have to reimburse half + cleaning fees

If they cancel less than 7 days before arrival they loose 100% of the rental, the booking fees, but get back the cleaning fee.

They have to introduce a claim for extenuating circumstances, or put pressure on you, to get more.

They cannot leave a review if they cancel before arrival day so no need to cave to pressure.

They have to first cancel. then ask for extenuating circumstances and ABB is apparently still evaluating each request indivudually, they have to provide proof and documentation.

If you had on the platform that they admitted they were just uneasy and wanted to go home, I think CS will take that into account.  

I'm wondering if they do introduce an extenuating circumstances claim, does Airbnb tell the host while it is being decided?  Anyone know?

Also wondering - if extenuating circumstances does the guest get booking fee back as well?  That would be good it would mean ABB does not make it easy for the guest to claim that.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Penelope50 

Sadly unless Airbnb change their policy (which they really should as they are an outlier in the travel industry) guests will not be able to claim on their insurance because the insured typically has a duty to mitigate any claim meaning they have to have applied all possible means to limit their loses.