When will the extenuating policy end?

When will the extenuating policy end?

Do any of the Admins or anyone at @Airbnb  know when they are going to call a final date on the extenuating policy?
It has just been extended again for reservations until 15th July!!!!!!!!!!
In Portugal where we have our properties flights are now arriving. People are starting to travel again and will be able to holiday in the next few weeks. There is also a new government run scheme to differentiate covid prepared properties.

We have guests who are due to arrive near the end of July who have told us that they will not be coming, but refuse to cancel as they have said they will wait for Airbnb to adjust their policy to include their dates and cancel for free!
Now we can't cancel them and re advertise the villa that they had reserved without penalty and damage to our superhost status, so why do people feel they can treat hosts like this?
Is is because of Airbnb's rolling blanket policy. It has to stop!

3 Replies 3
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I always been of the thought that those running Airbnb in many ways mean well, but lack the maturity to understand what con artists people can be; no, it doesn't make people evil incarnated, just opportunists. It does require those in the other side of the business spectrum to become survivalists  - a few days ago, I moved my July 1-13th reservations into September-October, suspecting Airbnb will extend their 'Welcome to Cancel' period once again. The cat & mouse game now moves to the reservation in July 15th-31th.

Alienor-and-Piers0
Level 10
United Kingdom

When will AirBnB have the courtesy to inform its hosts every time you decide to extend the extenuating circumstances deadlines.  I have just received a cancellation for a stay starting 13th August and now see you have extended it to 15th August.  You obviously informed the guests, but couldn't care less about informing the hosts - shame on you!  At least Homeaway communicates with us properly - so we know what to do next...(after 12 years as am Airbnb host...)

This is just the problem @Alienor-and-Piers0 , @Airbnb  are not giving a **bleep** about the hosts. They refuse to change their policy to be reflective of a country by country basis. Here in the EU, most countries can travel between themselves as well as a handful of other countries in the world. So why if they guest have no restrictions (physical, governmental or legal) are Airbnb offering them 100% refunds?

We all understand when the situation hit the hot point in March, that there really was no other choice but to offer cancellations, but now when so many borders are open and travel has returned, there is no reason to continue with the policy.

Then as you say, we are not even informed that there will be a policy change. We are only informed, when a cancellation email arrives.

It is just a total lack of respect for the hosts. But this is what happens when you take a small 'local' idea and grow it into a multi-billion dollar company. You become an arsehole overnight like all the other bigwigs.