guest refund during the covid-19 crisis

Luu13
Level 1
Culver City, CA

guest refund during the covid-19 crisis

Here is the new policy: "For reservations booked on or before March 14 with a check-in after May 31, guest will receive full refund for cancellation".  Sandy, my guest booked before March 14.  Her check-in date was May 18 to 23.  3 days ago, she made a cancellation.  Here is what she was shown: rent: $800, she will receive $400.  cleaning fee $30, full refund.  airbnb service fee: $117.18, NO refund. tax $116.0, full refund. In total, she received $546.20.  I had to manually issue her a full refund for $400.  Airbnb still keeps $117.18 service fee.  This is not in compliance with your new policy and not compliant to the message from airbnb CEO.  Airbnb should have issued her a full refund of $1063.38.  Given your new policy, you really committed a fraud.

3 Replies 3
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I think you mean with a check-in before May 31.  I think that one sentence is a mistake on Airbnb’s part, because the cancelled bookings I’ve seen with check-ins between April 14 and May 31 are reverting to the host’s original cancellation policy when “Cancel” is selected by the guest.  Your example above would match a cancellation policy with a 50% refund, with Airbnb keeping their fee.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

She needs to contact customer services - Hopefully you will let us know what they say.

Lets just hope they haven't had time to update their systems yet. but we shall see....

Rebecca1265
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Nope, this is what has happened to me (renter) attempting to get a refund from a host in Catalina (an Island that was closed to non-locals in March). My host was willing to refund 100% but Airbnb decided to get creative with math...From the $779 I paid I received $10.99 ... yup...So I contested and here is their updated math...$779. - $10.99 = $768.01 - $178 (this is AirBnb's "service fee") = $590.01  but they are issuing a refund of $572???  And my $178 coupon only redeemable until 12/2020? 

Please let me know if there is any class-action lawsuit against this ridiculous coupon voucher of the service fee