how do we handle mid-stay cancellations due to covid-19?

how do we handle mid-stay cancellations due to covid-19?

I'm a new host, this is only my 2nd guest. It's been going great, but alas...I have an 8 week guest who wants to

cancel mid-stay because her work was cancelled due to Covid-19. . Not sure how this situation applies to the
full guest refund policy? since I'm new, I'm not sure what the normal refund would be in this situation,
or if i would still be eligible to get
25% of whatever I WOULD have gotten, since the stay was not cancelled AHEAD of time.
If it was up to me, I think I would probably be okay giving a 50% refund since it was an unforesseable issue.

Thanks for your responses.

1 Reply 1
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lisa5279 

Technically, if a guest has already checked in, they do not qualify for the COVID-19 extenuating circumstances. If you read the policy, it clearly states this:

"If a reservation has already begun (the check-in has passed), this extenuating circumstance does not apply."

So, in theory, the normal long-term policy should apply, which means the guest is supposed to pay for the 30 days after cancellation (in addition to any nights they stayed): https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1361/how-do-changes-and-cancellations-work-for-longterm-reserv...

So, if your guest has two months left on their stay, you should get paid for one month and she should get refunded for one month. So, that is essentially the 50% refund you are talking about. I believe the guest (not the host) has to cancel for this to be the case.

However, be very careful about this. I recently had two guests leave during their stay (one had two months left and another 2.5 months). Although they did not qualify for the EC policy, Airbnb just gave them refunds under that policy anyway and, in one case, refunded the guest for two weeks she had already stayed. I am still 2.5 weeks later trying to get this sorted out with Airbnb and it has been a nightmare.

If I were you, I would try to deal directly with your guest and not involve Airbnb if you don't have to because, in my experience, they are making too many mistakes with cancellations right now. Once the mistakes are made, it seems almost impossible to get them to undo them.

So, I would politely explain to your guest that her cancellation is subject to the long-term policy, in which case she would get around 50% back on the remaining stay. If she asks for a full refund under COVID-19, point her to the policy and explain that it does not apply to guests who have already checked in and only applies to stays with "check-in date between 14 March 2020 and 31 May 2020".

You may find, however, when she goes to cancel that she is prompted to select COVID-19 as a reason. If she does this, then you will get a request for a full refund, which you will then have to decline, so that could end up an almighty mess. Get her instead to select 'I no longer need the accommodation' if that comes up as an option.

Hopefully you have a good relationship with your guest and she will understand that the long-term policy should apply and that you are splitting the loss 50/50 as I assume you won't get a booking now to replace that final month. I would also suggest that you tell her, should you get the nights booked, you will offer her an additional refund.

That's just my two cents, but perhaps other hosts may have a different opinion...