AN INCONVENIENT QUERY - IS AIRBNB DETERMINED TO MURDER ALL BOOKINGS FOR 2020?

Chris324
Level 5
Glasgow, United Kingdom

AN INCONVENIENT QUERY - IS AIRBNB DETERMINED TO MURDER ALL BOOKINGS FOR 2020?

By further stretching the Covid-related ‘Extenuating Circumstances Policy’ dates [15 July announcement is at least the sixth such extension], is Airbnb knowingly damaging trust between hosts and guests? Despite encouraging hosts to adopt Enhanced Cleaning standards and signal this to travellers, aren’t Airbnb simultaneously scaring off travellers? Our government has determined it is safe for the country to “re-open” and is seeking to re-build confidence in the Hospitality industry by ENcouraging rather than DIScouraging visitor travellers; so, does Airbnb not realise how extending their cancellation policy primarily serves to prolong the fear for travellers?Airbnb Covid Policy Extension 15Jul20.jpg

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris324  "Our government has determined it is safe for the country to “re-open” and is seeking to re-build confidence in the Hospitality industry by ENcouraging rather than DIScouraging visitor travellers; "

Yes, there's a lot of governments who have "determined it is safe". That doesn't mean it is. In fact, in almost all of those cases, the re-opening has led to an immediate surge in cases and many have had to re-institute lockdown.

I have little empathy with those who are only abiding by govt. dictates, rather than common sense. People shouldn't be travelling- the virus is still raging and killing people. Those are the facts. People have good reason to be fearful of contracting this virus.The UK happens to have the 6th highest infection rate in the world and one of the highest death rates. I wouldn't call that "safe to reopen", even if your government does.

However I don't think Airbnb should be extending the cancellation period for any reservation unless the guest can produce hard documentation for not being able to travel due to COVID. Guests shouldn't be allowed to to use it as an excuse for unrelated issues or because they just changed their minds.

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

Our government decided if they don't test, there won't be any cases. 

I'm with @Sarah977 . There is a virus, there will be more viruses, we have to learn to live with them. Covid was an extenuating circumstance because 8 months ago no one knew anything about it, and the world shut down. Making reservations now, with the full knowledge of this virus should no longer be extenuating.