Advice on Parking Violation

Keidi0
Level 1
Singapore

Advice on Parking Violation

Dear airbnb community,

I need help to shed some light on my situation with regards to a parking violation on the premise of an airbnb accommodation.

On a UK road trip last month, I stayed at an airbnb in Edinburgh for 2 nights. My rental vehicle under Hertz was parked at the accommodation managed by a vendor parking company. (my host supposedly registered my vehicle number for the stay)

After I returned from my trip, I was informed by Hertz that they received a parking violation from the vendor, hence proceeded to pay off then charge on my credit card.

Sensing something amiss, as the parking violation is dated 2nd night of stay, I contacted the host. The host explained that the charge should not have been issued, they tried to appeal but they encountered error on appeal page, vendor took very long to respond etc and wanted to explain to Hertz on my behalf. I requested for host to get vendor to reverse the payment as well as an explanation on the charge but host either ignored my question or just gave standard reply or advised me to contact airbnb to settle.

Which I did. So after explaining to airbnb, Jaquel V assisted by recommending me to request a claim from host (for the amount I have paid). I eventually did since host ceased to respond. After 72 hours, I involved airbnb to mediate. Despite all the information given, Kevin from airbnb told me that they cannot hold the host accountable and suggest for me to appeal with vendor directly. Honestly, I do not know how much investigation has been done.

I am not sure how much help the parking vendor can provide, given that they have photo evidence of my rental car in the carpark.

I could only assume that the host forgot to register my vehicle on the 2nd night and refused to take responsibility of the parking violation. This of course is my one-sided story given that the host repeated refusal in responding to my queries. If I am issued a parking ticket for parking at the wrong place at the wrong date, I would gladly accept my mistake and make the payment. Right now, I am not too sure what to do or what to make out of the situation. I just feel indignant to pay for a charge that I do not know how it came about. Please help and advise!!!

Thank you all in advanced!

2 Replies 2
Lisa-McKinney0
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

From what I can see, the host is the one liable for the charge - that's if they confirmed to you in writing that parking is included, they would register your car reg and you parked in the correct place.

I have a few places in Edinburgh however am not aware of any where you give your registration to the parking company - most you either have an allocated space or a paper permit that goes in your car.

Airbnb were completely wrong in not siding with you in my opinion 😞

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Keidi0 @Keidi0

I also make that parking is included. But because the car guard asked me that my guests need to pay for guard ecpecially at night for finding to them a good place for parking( near the guard, because originally the parking is, already, reserved for peoole who live near us.

For that and cause some guests, which come at the same day to our house at night for one day, prefer to leave their things in their cars, phones, computer, personal documents...an so on. So i am obliged to pay the guard, for car guest parking near him, and i added my listing price  

Thanks, 

Miloud