Airbnb blocking bookings is out of control

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Airbnb blocking bookings is out of control

I had an inquiry that Airbnb flagged. I could see possible factors that caused the flag, but after back and forth messaging, I had no problem accepting the guest. We are in a pandemic and I have a strict cancellation policy, so my bookings come in with shorter notice. Also, no one from outside the province is travelling here so YES, our bookings are pretty local. My listing is perfect for a rural retreat style getaway from the city (which is filling a huge need right now), not a party magnet. The booking was for two nights over a weekend, under my max occupancy limit. I live next door to my listing, I have strict house rules, and allow zero shenanigans. 15 minutes after the booking was completed, Airbnb steps in and cancels it with no warning. This has got to change. At least make contact and converse with the host first, rather than arbitrarily cancelling. 

10 Replies 10

@Colleen253  Are you listed elsewhere?

As we all know, you offer an off-platform booking to an unconfirmed guest, but if Airbnb cancels an existing booking after the host and guest have each other's contact details, I see no reason why they shouldn't consider making arrangements directly or on another site.

Airbnb is well within its rights to decide a booking is too high-risk for its insurance to cover, but that booking still has a right to exist in another capacity if both remaining parties agree to it.

@Anonymous  I could see why Airbnb might think this booking falls under the high risk category, due to the shorter notice of a week and being 'local', but it wasn't high risk. This guest had many 5 star reviews, not a new member, and was booking more than one night.

The thing is, all my perfectly legitimate bookings could be considered high risk due to the circumstances I described in my post. They are generally made within two weeks of stay, most are local due to the pandemic, and are often just a one night getaway out of the city. 

The algorithm is catching more and more of my potential bookings in it's net. I've gotten around it well enough so far. This is the first time Airbnb has actually cancelled one. It's frustrating they can't see the forest for the trees. 

@Colleen253 Even crazier still, the very kinds of bookings that the algorithm flags as high risk are also the first ones promoted to guests on the Splash page. I don't think the right hand knows what the left is doing. 

It's worse than you think. Last night at midnight I got a request to book from an 18-year old programmer who wanted to have a weekend getaway with friends. Although the guest had 8 positive reviews, at least one mentioned a guest by name that is not the guest in question. I was asleep and decided to answer in the morning (I don't usually allow same day check-ins). Ten minutes later Airbnb texts me to say I'll be missing out on revenue if I don't accept the guest.

So - 18-year old guest, wants a last minute booking to host a get-away with friends, lives close by (local). Airbnb is supposed to be flagging potential parties  and they've blocked guests I was ready to approve in the past but they bug me to let this one go through?

By morning the request had been withdrawn. Probably found a different place. But the algorithm is in no way consistent in its application.

@Christine615 even on the face of this, I am annoyed just by the hectoring to accept while you are asleep or headed to bed! Certainly this illustrious app that advertises spaces all over the world must have some understanding of time zones! I have had the same thing-- someone wanting to book at 2am while I was asleep and my phone going nuts that I need to accept. Come on now. 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Yes this has been happening a lot, I actually met a couple of the guests and they were very nice people. One of them wanted to have a easter party for some kids. I guess the word party was flagged and the booking was cancelled but I still was able to meet the guests and they were very very nice. 

The other issue that I have is that I had a guest cancel, now even if the days are unblocked its a Friday and Weekend bookings for 1 or 2 days are generally flagged by the algorithm so ive just chalked this whole weekend up to a loss.

Ive had some really crazy parties here, so im really a fence sitter on this, if I really want someone Ill grab their contact info and book them outside of the platform, but Ive yet to do that because after a booking has been blocked AirBnb generally has sent me another booking fairly quickly.

" I had a guest cancel....... its a Friday and Weekend bookings for 1 or 2 days are generally flagged by the algorithm so ive just chalked this whole weekend up to a loss."

@Nina75 You highlight another problem with the omnipotent, overreaching algorithm. There needs to be a fix of some sort for these situations.

@Colleen253I hear you, but it hasnt really affected me to bad. Ill use the weekend to get some work done in the house. I ve been booked solid since January ive needed a break.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Colleen253 just a thought, any chance your guests were from BC? Due to the pandemic, the provincial government has limited people to within their health region only and forced all hotels and travel agencies to cancel bookings for the next month for people who booked outside their health region. I'm curious if they got to Airbnb too?

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0 Good thought, but no, they were Albertan, and pretty local to me in fact.